• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just Picked up New Bun

Cat129

Warren Scout
Just went and picked up my new bun and im soooo glad I did. the conditions she was in were horrible. Only got the full story of why the lady didn't want her I was shocked

She was getting rid of her because her grand daughter had 3 rabbits (the other 2 were eaten by foxes), 5 pigies and 2 dogs. She got bored of them so her dad bought her a horse, Thats not the worst bit though. The grandma then thought she would breed her because she is a rex and thought she could make a 'quick quid' with the kits.

Went outside to look at her and she was in a hutch no bigger than 2 x 2 single story. Poo piled up at the door and a smell that could kill and no run attatched, I asked if I could see the run, it was just a bit of chicken wire attatched to some woden stakes about 4 x 2 with no top. Thats how the other two were eaten beacuse she leaves them in there while she was at work. The rabbit has never seen hay either. The lady asked if I wanted to hold her then promptly grabbed her by the back of her neck, lifted her out and thrusted her at me. Some people :censored:

Well anyway she is now in a cage in my kitchen, under quarantine just to make sure bugs doesnt catch anything off her. The poor thing is petrified just sitting in the corner of her cage and wont eat or drink, Im hoping that she will eat something later once she has got used to her new surroundings.

Oh yea, she hasn't been vaccinated against anything, never seen a vet, and has been fed purely of 'breeding musli'. Never heard of it myself.

Just had to let someone know and let of some steam, now thats done how have all your days been?

I will get pics tommorow, dont want to hassle her, She is a standard rex, white with grey socks and ears, pink eyes and a little head. She looks a bid odd to be honest :lol:

oh bless her, at least she is safe with you now. Cant wait to see piccies of her.

Some people are just horrible and cruel :(

I have wondered if she is pregrent aswell. Ive given her tummy a little feel and I cant feel anything but when she goes to the Vets on thursday with Bugs i will ask the vet to check. She still hasn't eaten anything.

I have wondered if she is pregrent aswell. Ive given her tummy a little feel and I cant feel anything but when she goes to the Vets on thursday with Bugs i will ask the vet to check. She still hasn't eaten anything.

What kind of cage is she in? Has she got somewhere to hide?

She is in a big cage only just fits under the table, it about 4 x 3ft, I have left it open so that she can have a wonder in the kitchen, there are plenty of places she can hide. She hasn't moved much since I put her in there.

If its open topped (like wire) then I would be tempted to cover top and sides with a towel and maybe even leave the front only slightly uncovered. I'd also suggest closing it so she can feel secure (equally though, if she comes out and about quarantining will essentially go out the window).

I'd put a cardboard box in there with a hole in the side. If she's only used to tiny spaces it should make her feel more secure. :)

Glad you have her now. :)

It is one of the wire cages, with regards to the quarinte there is no way bugs could get to the kitchen he has to get through 2 stairgates and a door, do you still think that I should close the door of the cage? . I will go pop a towel over the top so that it covers the sides etc.

It is one of the wire cages, with regards to the quarinte there is no way bugs could get to the kitchen he has to get through 2 stairgates and a door, do you still think that I should close the door of the cage? . I will go pop a towel over the top so that it covers the sides etc.

But if you walk on your kitchen floor, and then walk something into Bugs, that is contamination whether he was there himself or not.

:roll: Sorry, I'm a bit thick sometimes. Good job you all know what your talking about. Ill go close it, Sorry, dippy moment.

:roll: Sorry, I'm a bit thick sometimes. Good job you all know what your talking about. Ill go close it, Sorry, dippy moment.

Don't worry. We all have moments like that and often we need to learn ourselves how strict it has to be, but if we can help prevent a disaster for you and Bugs then that would be awesome :) Those are what i was talking about when I said the 'invisibles'.

Do you remember the advert with the lady who touched raw chicken and then touched this and that and the other and you could see it on the tv showing up and glowing blue (I think it was a dettol advert?). Try to think about it like that.

I just thought, As she is in quarintine can I let her out for a run? Then wash the kitchen floor?

Do you remember the advert with the lady who touched raw chicken and then touched this and that and the other and you could see it on the tv showing up and glowing blue (I think it was a dettol advert?). Try to think about it like that.

Thank you for that, That will deffinatly stick in my head now.

Thank you for that, That will deffinatly stick in my head now.

You're welcome.

If you let her out and then disinfect that should be ok. I would suggest wearing bags on your feet in that room until you disinfect (I go all out for my quarantine :lol:)

Awww poor little girl.:(

I got my Cupcake on saturday and she didn't eat/drink/poop for the first few hours either, I'm sure she'll soon settle in.:)

Lol, you deffinatly dont do anything by half. Thanks for all your advice, hopefully there will be nothing wrong with her. I will try to get some pictures of her up tommorow. Towel on cage, lights will go off at 10 when we all go to bed.

Back