• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you need to treat outdoor hutches?

stranger23

Mama Doe
like you would do to fences? ive been given a hutch that i need to clean out as i dont know if the previous rabbit had any illnesses so what would be the best thing to use for that and do i need to treat the outside with anything?

I'm not sure what you should use for disinfectant but yes they do need to be treated or painted with something. You can get Cuprinol Garden shades which is a safe paint or buy a wood stain from Pets at Home specifically meant for hutches

I used HOT water & white vinigar....its a mild disinfectant & also get rid of any wee marks.....then let dry thoroughly:wave:
Only thing is in this weather the hutches may not dry very well - you may need to get the hair dryer out to help along....or do it on a windy day ...you just dont want any mold growing in the damp wood.:wave:

ok well when we get a lovely warm day i will give it a wash with bleach then when thats dried i will do the water and vinegar just to make double sure ive killed anything off and made it nice and clean, i will also get some wood stain to treat the wood with after before letting any of my bunnies near it, i will also do the same to the run i got :) thanks for all your help

I woudn't personally use bleach, i think it's too harsh for buns - the hot water and binegar sounds the best natural option or you can buy hutch disinfectant spray from pets at home or I just got a nice one from the hay experts which kills things but isn't smelly and is 100% bun-safe :D

For the outside I used a preservative called 'Good for Wood' that was recommended by the hutch company, but I think you can get animal-friendly wood preservative in most DIY stores.

Back