PDA

View Full Version : Do you need to treat outdoor hutches?

stranger23
17-01-2011, 06:53 PM
like you would do to fences? ive been given a hutch that i need to clean out as i dont know if the previous rabbit had any illnesses so what would be the best thing to use for that and do i need to treat the outside with anything?

Stator
17-01-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm not sure what you should use for disinfectant but yes they do need to be treated or painted with something. You can get Cuprinol Garden shades which is a safe paint or buy a wood stain from Pets at Home specifically meant for hutches

chelle
17-01-2011, 10:15 PM
I used HOT water & white vinigar....its a mild disinfectant & also get rid of any wee marks.....then let dry thoroughly:wave:
Only thing is in this weather the hutches may not dry very well - you may need to get the hair dryer out to help along....or do it on a windy day ...you just dont want any mold growing in the damp wood.:wave:

Angela lou
17-01-2011, 10:49 PM
I think you need to use bleach to be sure to kill anything left by the previous occupants.

stranger23
18-01-2011, 09:08 AM
ok well when we get a lovely warm day i will give it a wash with bleach then when thats dried i will do the water and vinegar just to make double sure ive killed anything off and made it nice and clean, i will also get some wood stain to treat the wood with after before letting any of my bunnies near it, i will also do the same to the run i got :) thanks for all your help

paulinejoe
18-01-2011, 09:18 AM
I woudn't personally use bleach, i think it's too harsh for buns - the hot water and binegar sounds the best natural option or you can buy hutch disinfectant spray from pets at home or I just got a nice one from the hay experts which kills things but isn't smelly and is 100% bun-safe :D

susie bun
18-01-2011, 09:50 AM
For the outside I used a preservative called 'Good for Wood' that was recommended by the hutch company, but I think you can get animal-friendly wood preservative in most DIY stores.