• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting a new bun, advice please

Cat129

Warren Scout
This is probally a stupid question and I should know the answer. Picking up a new bun at half 5 (found her on pre-loved:cry:) The owner wanted to use her to breed but changed her mind and she wont tell me if she has had any jabs or not. Im assuming not because she would have said yes straight away if she had. Anyway I was going to put her into the hutch in my lounge untill I bonded them, Bugs will be able to sniff her through the door and all that. Is that a good idea or is that a risk because i'm not sure how well looked after she has been. I'm guessing now very good conditions.

Long story short. Should I put her hutch in the kitchen where there can be no interaction or let her go in the lounge where they can get used to each others smells etc.

Ive allready booked her into the vets on thursday (well kinda, she is going along with bugs for his post dental check for the vet to check her over). The thing im more worried about is I dont know what problems are contagious.

Ive allready booked her into the vets on thursday (well kinda, she is going along with bugs for his post dental check for the vet to check her over). The thing im more worried about is I dont know what problems are contagious.

Thats why she needs to be 100% quarantined, away from anything he can get near and you should ideally change clothing after being near each one to minimise the chance of any contagious illnesses.

Fair enough, will do that she will be a kitchen bunny for the time being. Are all rabbit illness's contagious? I know Mixi and VHD are but what about any of the others?

Fair enough, will do that she will be a kitchen bunny for the time being. Are all rabbit illness's contagious? I know Mixi and VHD are but what about any of the others?

EC, Pasteurella (thats complicated), Syphillis.

There's lots more, but i can't list 'em all :)

Totally agree. Be aware of the 'invisibles' as my mum would say.

I tend to quarantine for 4 weeks unless I know for sure they are healthy.

External and internal parasites and then bacterias and viral issues (like VHD) are what you need to protect your bunnies from.

Back