• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

swaying

stranger23

Mama Doe
hi i was wondering if anyone would know what this is or why she is doing it, one of my girls when i first got her would sit in a corner and sway ever so slightly from side to side, i thought she might be doing it as a nervous response to coming to a new home and i didnt notice it for a few weeks but now i just caught her doing it again, what could be the reason for it? ive not taken her to the vets with it yet as i thought it might be just coz of the new home as she didnt do it when we observed her before buying but now im worried as she has been in her new home for over a month now

hi i was wondering if anyone would know what this is or why she is doing it, one of my girls when i first got her would sit in a corner and sway ever so slightly from side to side, i thought she might be doing it as a nervous response to coming to a new home and i didnt notice it for a few weeks but now i just caught her doing it again, what could be the reason for it? ive not taken her to the vets with it yet as i thought it might be just coz of the new home as she didnt do it when we observed her before buying but now im worried as she has been in her new home for over a month now

Swaying from left to right? Is it just her head doing it?

If shes swaying left to right, she could have bad eyesight, and be 'scanning' her surroundings, bad sighted bunnies often do that.

It sounds like shes scanning to me....does she have red eyes or brown eyes that sometimes glow red when light shines on them?

She might be a bit short sighted and scanning helps her to focus on things....I've got a bunny that does this.

they are brown ive not noticed them being red at all but the lights in our house are quite dim she always sits in the same corner when she sways tho

That does sound like scanning.

Any chance you could get a video of her doing it?

That way, it would be easier to say :)

i can try to get a video but i have no idea how to put it up on here :oops: she doesnt do it all the time its just every now and then she will sit up straight and start the slight swaying motion, if it is her eye sight a vet should be able to tell wont they so i might get her booked in just to check it out i thought i would ask on here first so i had a slight clue as to what it could be as i dont have any good rabbit vets near me that ive found so far (on my third vets)

We recently fostered an albino bunny and we noticed him doing this right away. Looks like he's leaning from side to side and can be very noticeable to very subtle. We took him to the vet and he took him into a dark room and shone a light to see how much his pupils reacted to the light and it turns out our guy is pretty much blind and can only see shadows. Most likely it is scanning as they said before me. Our guy gets around and can see big things but can startle easy if we come from behind or move quickly.

Thank you everyone i will take her to the vets and get her eyes checked out to make sure, if it is her sight at least i will know, we have a blind guinea pig so i will start doing to her as we do for him and announcing ourselves before going in the cage or close to it so we dont spook her

Back