• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you do with your rabbit waste?

Guy

Warren Scout
Well I thought I'd start this thread to see what others do with their rabbit waste, and it perhaps may give others ideas as to how to manage the waste responsibily. I hate throwing it in the wheelie bin knowing theres probably other options, so I've been doing a compost heap recently, although its getting pretty big :shock:

Please say which substrate you use when you get rid of it as some subbies may not be suitable for that method (no debates over substrates though please!!). :D:D

I haven't discovered any alternatives locally so mine goes to the local tip :(
It isn't allowed in the green waste even though most of it is hay and megazorb

I use hay, aboise and newspaper.

My council will reycle it as green waste so all I have to do it chuck the lot in the green collection bags and they collect it once a fortnight. Thankfully you can by extra bags for £1 and there is no limit on the amount you use. Just as well as we get through about 8 bags a week, prob more in winter.

I throw it in the garbage can. I use newspaper, or else I'd just throw it outside. When I had outdoor buns I'd always put it in the compost heap.

Into black bags, take it to the local recycling centre and empty bags into 'green waste'.

Job Done.

I put in in the bin with household waste.
At least when it goes to the tip it will biodegrade.

mine has to go to the tip as our council wont take the hay in the garden waste bin i had to take it all out when i put it in as they wouldnt collect the bin and as we rent were not aloud to put a compost bin in the garden for it but im hoping when we move we will have a nice compost bin for it all to go in

I know that around here there are small provincial vegetable gardens and the owners use all sorts of compost, sometimes also from buns.
But I throw my buns waste in the bin.

Was there really any need to drag an insignificant disagreement across the forum? I'm sure other members don't want to see it so grow up. :roll: Way to encourage new members to post :roll:

It composts fine for us (but then I wouldn't want to force it on anyone :roll:)

On topic, I've always been a bit confused about those recycling bins etc. I was told our waste can't be put in there, only compost and branches!! (I don't mean the household recycling bin) lol. I may have to look it up again, hopefully theres another alternative. I once met a lady who gave her rabbit substrate along with poo etc to gardeners as fertilizer :shock:

Well I was talking about megazorb so I thought it best to quantify it.

On topic...

It composts down fine for us. We just take our boxes as is up the allotment and tip them on the compost heap. Saves a load of hassle of putting it into bags, taking out the newspaper (so I don't use it), then putting it on the heap. Means having several boxes but this works well for me cos I can make them up, change them, then go up the allotment once a week or once a fortnight, empty them, clean them with boiling water and stack them ready for reuse.

Having M.E. means I have to find ways to make it easier for me and this has definitely made it a LOT easier.

My local council will not take it as garden waste or green waste (kitchen waste). It HAS to go in black bags.

I'm lucky as all my bunny and piggy waste goes into my green garden/kitchen waste wheely bin and is collected once a week. Megazorb (which I use) is a wood fibre and is fully compostable :D.

Hmm it sounds good the way your guys can recycle it. Our "little" heap is getting to big but I don't want to put it in the green (normal kitchen waste) bin at all. Plus it would complete overflow them lol. Deffo want to check see if theres anything I can do.

I haven't discovered any alternatives locally so mine goes to the local tip :(
It isn't allowed in the green waste even though most of it is hay and megazorb

I used to put mine in the green bit as well then it was stickered and they said they couldn't take it. I assumed it was for composting so therefore ideal :roll: We just put grass cuttings on top and it went the next time :oops:

We just bag and bin it now :?

:wave:

Mine is a mix of megazorb and hay (and poops and wees obviously :lol:). I take the newspaper out (not a pleasant job :mrgreen:)

My council collect as garden waste every fortnight apart from between Nov and Feb. I would have taken it to the tip but have a broken foot so needed to find an alternative. Which I did, a lovely lady from my local allotments comes and collects it :D:thumb:

Back