• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finding a friend for molly

Katheryn

Young Bun
Sadly Junior died on friday :( Im just happy that he isnt suffering anymore.

Molly needs a new friend as she looks lonely having always lived with a male. Taking her to the vets later today just to make sure shes all ok.

Molly is 4 and is a very timid bun.

Havnt had problems with bonding her with my other buns before but just wanted to know what u lot think. Should I just leave her on her own? Or if i find her a new husbun what age/size should he be? Dont want to get another bun and not be able to put them together as I dont have any spare hutches anymore. Been looking on here at the rehoming bit but all the buns are to far away :(

Thanks

Sadly Junior died on friday :( Im just happy that he isnt suffering anymore.

Molly needs a new friend as she looks lonely having always lived with a male. Taking her to the vets later today just to make sure shes all ok.

Molly is 4 and is a very timid bun.

Havnt had problems with bonding her with my other buns before but just wanted to know what u lot think. Should I just leave her on her own? Or if i find her a new husbun what age/size should he be? Dont want to get another bun and not be able to put them together as I dont have any spare hutches anymore. Been looking on here at the rehoming bit but all the buns are to far away :(

Thanks

Alice @ Windwhistle Rescue is really close to you, but not all her buns are on RR :)

I'm really sorry about your bunny :( Rescues will often bond for you, if that helps :)

Lots of other rescues rehome nationally also, such as HoneyBunnies Rescue :wave:

Hi :wave:

When we got our second, Badger, we asked the rescue to bond him to Biscuit for us and prepared ourselves to look for another husbun if it didn't work and leave him to be rescued by someone else.

To me, that is the best way of doing it and the least risky :thumb:

Any rescues near you?

Thankyou

So does that mean I take my bun to them and they find me a bun that will get on with my bun? Sorry i'm a bit slow.

Thankyou

So does that mean I take my bun to them and they find me a bun that will get on with my bun? Sorry i'm a bit slow.

That's OK, don't apologise, I was new to it too!

The best way is for you to go without your bun and have a look for a suitable husband that you like.

Then they can reserve him and you can take your bun to be bonded. Means you have to part with Molly for a week (I was heartbroken dropping Biscuit off). If it does not work, then some rescues let you have a "second" bun on standby to try to bond (so long as no-one else takes him as a first choice in the meantime).

Does that make sense?! :)

Thankyou

Hey, don't sweat it :)

Basically, yuo can take your bunny to a rescue and see if there are any they like :)

I'd call Alice @ Windwhistle Rescue or Jill @ HoneyBunnies and see if they can help :)

I believe Alice has over 90 bunnies at the moment so there should be a wide choice!

Windwhistle: http://www.windwhistlewarren.org.uk/
HoneyBunnies: 0116 2869887 or email hunnybunnysr@aol.com

Hope that helps :)

Ok I get it lol. Thanks for your help :D

Also, do either of u know wheres best to buy large hutches? Mines 6ft by 4ft with attached run - they do go in the garden everyday too - but its falling apart and my one doesnt seem to be sold anymore only smaller ones? No worries if you don't il keep looking x

ALSO (sorry got lots to ask today) I know Molly is overweight and im going to ask the vet for a diet plan but has anyone had to put a rabbit on a diet? I feed her a cup of dried food, lots of hay, and one type of veg (i.e. three cabbage leafs or a handful of spinach) a day. Which doesnt seem like a lot to me but obviously is as shes one fat rabbit. She goes in the garden everyday but doesnt really run because of her funny leg (which my old vet said there was nothing wrong with) so dont really know the best way to help her lose weight. Obviously il ask the vet but they dont always know the best ways.

Last edited:
Ok I get it lol. Thanks for your help :D

Also, do either of u know wheres best to buy large hutches? Mines 6ft by 4ft with attached run - they do go in the garden everyday too - but its falling apart and my one doesnt seem to be sold anymore only smaller ones? No worries if you don't il keep looking x

ALSO (sorry got lots to ask today) I know Molly is overweight and im going to ask the vet for a diet plan but has anyone had to put a rabbit on a diet? I feed her a cup of dried food, lots of hay, and one type of veg (i.e. three cabbage leafs or a handful of spinach) a day. Which doesnt seem like a lot to me but obviously is as shes one fat rabbit. She goes in the garden everyday but doesnt really run because of her funny leg (which my old vet said there was nothing wrong with) so dont really know the best way to help her lose weight. Obviously il ask the vet but they dont always know the best ways.

Hi

Really sorry for your loss and hope you mange to find a new friend for Molly.

On the subject of feeding/weight etc I would just be a little concerned about the amount of dried food. Mine are on Excel pellets and only get an eggcup full each per day split between breakfast and tea. A cup seems like an awful lot. Maybe look at reducing this over time. It might also be worth thinking about swapping to pellets (Excel, Oxbow, Science Selective) if you are currently feeding a rabbit mix (wasn't sure from what you said) as rabbits do tend to just pick out the bits they like and leave the rest. The pellets will help ensure they have a more balanced diet. Also reducing the dried food will help encourage lots of hay munching! Good luck with the search for a new bun.

Hi there :wave:

Really sorry to hear about Junior :(

I think you're doing the right thing by thinking about a friend for Molly :)

Thank you to Graham for posting Honeybunnies contact details. It's worth giving Jill a call & chatting about what bunnies we have available & also ask any other questions you may have. We can usually sort out a bun run & Jill can bond for you if you wish. That way if bun no.1 doesn't get along with Molly Jill can try another & you don't have the stress of doing it all yourself :)

Last edited:
Yeah molly was just having the wagg dried food that mixture stuff. Got excel now but shes not eating it so iv mixed a bit of both but not giving her anywhere near as much as i was before. I didnt realise how little they needed! Presumed as the dish i bought said for rabbits it should be a bowl full. Oops! Luckily vet said she wasnt hugely over weight he just said as shes been spayed, spayed rabbits need even less food? So yeah hopefully she'll lose a bit of weight slowly with a few changes :)

Yeah going to start looking into finding a friend for molly just wanted to make sure she was 100% well before i did.

Thanks! x

Yeah molly was just having the wagg dried food that mixture stuff. Got excel now but shes not eating it so iv mixed a bit of both but not giving her anywhere near as much as i was before. I didnt realise how little they needed! Presumed as the dish i bought said for rabbits it should be a bowl full. Oops! Luckily vet said she wasnt hugely over weight he just said as shes been spayed, spayed rabbits need even less food? So yeah hopefully she'll lose a bit of weight slowly with a few changes :)

Yeah going to start looking into finding a friend for molly just wanted to make sure she was 100% well before i did.

Thanks! x

I think someone else has said that you should reduce the amount gradually and as you say, mix some of the old food in initially. A sudden change or decrease isn't advisable. Also monitor her poops. Excel doesn't agree with all bunnies & if she really isn't interested after say a week you may want to try another brand. Science Selective is regarded as one of the "best" and few rabbits decline to eat it :wave:

Back