• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Little Ted is in the wars, again. U/D: 'Good' news.

martyn_t

Mama Doe
A little while ago (New Years Day) we had Teddy to the emergency vet because of stasis.

Happily with some meds and TLC he got over that and has been his normally bunny self, sitting up on the chairs and snuggling with Rosie.

Last night I noticed a dark patch under his brilliant white fur just underneath his chin/on his neck. OH looked and couldn't see anything and as she has better eyes than me went with that.

Got up today and had a much clearer view. Not sure if it is him (can't imagine he could reach) or Rosie but he has a definite bald bit on his neck as though his fur has been pulled out. Further, when I had a feel of it (not easy with one hand when he clearly didn't want me to) it felt like a cyst or hard lump under his skin.

Anyway, he is booked in at his second home (the vets) for tonight but wondered if anyone has any experience of this in their buns?

Ta,

Martyn.

Last edited:
Is the lump near his jaw or on his neck ?

Could well be an abscess and if near his jaw it is likely to be tooth root related.

I don't have any useful advice, sorry, but I hope it is something easily treatable for Little Ted, good luck xx

Thanks for vibes people.

The lump seems to be more on his neck. His diet consists of a lot of dry hay and the vet did say the visible surface of the teeth are in good condition (s'pose that makes no difference to the root though).

He seems OK in himself but I know how quickly these little dudes can go downhill.

Thanks again for vibes everyone.

Just got back from the vets.

Little Ted has just had his first shave! The vet wanted to see more of the lump than was visible from the baldness so the little lad has had to be shaved under his chin. He had a good look and feel of it.

He thinks Rosie might have nipped Ted. It isn't an abscess (it is healed and dry but there is definitely some swelling).

Vet does want us to be cautious and has given us a shipment of various meds to keep him tip-top. He wants to see him in 7 days unless we think it is getting worse (becomes wet, spreads or he becomes quiet) in which case he wants to see him again immediately.

Thanks again to everyone for their vibes. Got to say as well, our vet is great.

Sending vibes to your Little Ted. Just to say, I think my Darcy had something similar a couple of years ago. He had been ill but was in recovery when while stroking him I found a weird lump. The vet initially thought it was an absess although not strictly sure. We did a test and the contents was not that of an absess so it was weird. I think it was from a bite from Beatrix because thats probably how it went as well- he was due for an op to remove it when it got bitten off cleanly and didn't need anything. He was fine within himself and so it was all goood.

Sending vibes to your Little Ted. Just to say, I think my Darcy had something similar a couple of years ago. He had been ill but was in recovery when while stroking him I found a weird lump. The vet initially thought it was an absess although not strictly sure. We did a test and the contents was not that of an absess so it was weird. I think it was from a bite from Beatrix because thats probably how it went as well- he was due for an op to remove it when it got bitten off cleanly and didn't need anything. He was fine within himself and so it was all goood.

Thanks for that BinkyBun. I was so worried when Martyn phoned me at work to say he'd found the lump (feel a bit guilty that I didn't look more carefully last night when he said he thought he saw something). Just praying it doesn't turn into an abscess. He's only 2 and the poor little thing seems to be at the vets all the time at the moment (NY Day for stasis and last Thursday for Myxo)

Good news its hopefully nothing serious, fingers and paws crossed it will heal quickly.

Bet you will be spoiling him rotten tonight :love:

Thanks for that BinkyBun. I was so worried when Martyn phoned me at work to say he'd found the lump (feel a bit guilty that I didn't look more carefully last night when he said he thought he saw something). Just praying it doesn't turn into an abscess. He's only 2 and the poor little thing seems to be at the vets all the time at the moment (NY Day for stasis and last Thursday for Myxo)

((((hugs)))))) Please don't blame yourself. Its so easy to beat yourself up when bunny has been ill. I think its more common than we know for the bonded bun to bite the sick bun - I think its to remind them to hide the illness. I caught Beatrix doing this a couple of times and manage to stop her and tell her NO. Darcy's never turned into anything - and I think with all the investigating it - Darcy and Beatrix decided to deal with it themselves.:love: Fingers and paws crossed and sending vibes xx

I'm hoping it will be nothing. When we picked them up after we'd been on holiday he had a scabby bit on his ear, which I can only assume Rosie was responsible for, and that was fine. He seems completely normal in himself, he's eating and running around. We start on the antibiotics and steroid cream tomorrow, as well as some stuff to put in their water.

They like to worry us don't they?!

Back