• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Horsford - Hutches - anyone got spare time to help?

Leigh

Mama Doe
Hi all :wave:

firstly sorry mods i think this should be in another section but i dont have permission to post there.

the dogs trust have put out a twitter appeal for us for spare rabbit hutches or large dog crates which can be sent to horsford. this is great except people are obviously going to start saying they have one in various parts of the country and understandably they wont want to pay to courier it. the dogs trust has 18k followers so we may get a few responses.

is anyone in contact with PACT so that I can pass the details on? the items are out there for PACT to use its just how we get them to them...

We currently have an offer of hutches (x6) in haywards heath and i am confirming details with the lady about the condition, and also a large dog crate in London (no idea which bit of london yet)

I hope this is of use and doesnt cause more trouble than its worth. If anyone can offer me any help or suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:
im really worried about the logistics of it though - i dont want to cause people loads of trouble by having to transport things around :/

ive tried to contact PACT on their twitter account but although they have tweeted this morning they haven't replied to me :/

The large dog crate is in Canary Wharf by the way and the lady has offered drop it off somewhere for us....

I also thought about putting an ad on gumtree and preloved asking for hutches and to contact PACT directly - but maybe PACT could place the ad themselves?

I was on twitter last night and searched hutches, a lot of people out there were saying they were going to buy a new hutch to replace an existing one - it might be something to look at

I think the main problem is getting delivery of all the hutches to Norfolk.
Even if we could get them to one point and then transport from there,
I just wish i lived in the south i would collect a few and deliver to Norfolk.
Maybe see if PACT have any ideas on collection.
Seems such a shame when people are offering hutches but no means of getting them there.
How big are the 6 from Haywards Heath?
Keep up all the good work with twitter etc,:love:

just got an email from the lady with the hutches (she has runs too)

these are big hutches and won't flatpack - they need transporting whole.

so i guess the question is anyone on here got a large van? or a contact with a courier company that can help us?

Raine - could you contact PACT and get back to me if they can help?

it does seem a real shame to have things for them but logistically unable to get them there :(

we have offered them 2 very large dog crates and will hopefully be able to take them over soon...we live in kent so its a bit of a drive:roll:

This is great news!

A national courier company on board os what is needed. Are you able to contact a few and see if they would courier itemas at no charge as part of their contribution?

my husband has tweeted a few but nothing so far. would anyone else have any spare time to contact some courier companies? we are busy tweeting and emailing companies to ask for donations, not sure i can stretch to organising hutch runs :/ did nothing at work all day as it is and i really cant get away with that tomorrow :/

could anyone volunteer to contact some? small companies and the big chains

or does anyone on here know someone with a BIG van who could donate some time?

(The people offering their crates/hutches through twitter arent necessarily bunny lovers, just offering to help and what they have done is lovely)

my husband has tweeted a few but nothing so far. would anyone else have any spare time to contact some courier companies? we are busy tweeting and emailing companies to ask for donations, not sure i can stretch to organising hutch runs :/ did nothing at work all day as it is and i really cant get away with that tomorrow :/

could anyone volunteer to contact some? small companies and the big chains

or does anyone on here know someone with a BIG van who could donate some time?

(The people offering their crates/hutches through twitter arent necessarily bunny lovers, just offering to help and what they have done is lovely)

The work you have put in on Twitter is amazing! Maybe a new thread requesting help with contacting couriers. I'd love to but am in the same boat as you :oops: but not Twitter as I don't understand it :lol: Reading and planning for the MMC campaign. :D

The trouble is this couldn't have come at a worse time, the economy - everyone struggling the petrol prices etc, I don't hold out much hope tbh of couriers being able to do this with second hand hutches, I just spoke to my OH (he has a van) but, he is so busy atm with work he just couldn't do it and although it's a big van it's racked out inside so smaller inside and we just about managed to get 2 small ones in for Southampton RR although he had other stuff in there then.

Don't the rescue have any contacts with couriers they use or a van they could use? It's more likely to be possible to raise cash for fuel than get the courier firms to do it I reckon.

The only other thing I thought of was maybe a van hire company would lend one for a Sunday if it's not being used but, again you need fuel in it.

The trouble is this couldn't have come at a worse time, the economy - everyone struggling the petrol prices etc, I don't hold out much hope tbh of couriers being able to do this with second hand hutches, I just spoke to my OH (he has a van) but, he is so busy atm with work he just couldn't do it and although it's a big van it's racked out inside so smaller inside and we just about managed to get 2 small ones in for Southampton RR although he had other stuff in there then.

Don't the rescue have any contacts with couriers they use or a van they could use? It's more likely to be possible to raise cash for fuel than get the courier firms to do it I reckon.

The only other thing I thought of was maybe a van hire company would lend one for a Sunday if it's not being used but, again you need fuel in it.

hoping raine will pop along and see this to tell us if PACT have anything

assuming not though then if we ask enough places im sure someone ill help - budget car van rental, loads of places....

just need a kind volunteer to help us and if we offer them some promotion in return.... well its good all round

was sort of hoping this thread would generate that :oops:

(i think between us tweeters we have managed to increase your followers a little :D:thumb:)

Yeah sorry I did think that after I posted :lol:

I did try on Twitter and do go on and click things and re-tweet thanks to your guidelines and I see Helen or Lisa have now started on the MMC Tweeting..... I just seem to have a block when it comes to it.... must be my age :lol:

Just found this

http://www.jobsforcouriers.co.uk/version2/view_news.php?news=4

Might be worth a shot

ETA I know its Scotland but you never know .....

Extract :

The free delivery is the latest in a string of charity initiatives that directors at Eagle Couriers have carried out in the past 12 months. Earlier this year, the firm ran a “special deliveries” initiative designed to provide equipment for under-funded community organisations across central Scotland.

The company has also picked the Five Sisters Zoo in West Lothian as its sponsored charity for 2009, and has helped raise money and awareness for the under-threat wildlife attraction.

Jerry Stewart, one of Eagle Couriers directors, said: “We always try to give something back to the local communities that we work in, so when we heard about Project Ability’s dilemma we jumped at the chance to help.

Last edited:
Just found this

http://www.jobsforcouriers.co.uk/version2/view_news.php?news=4

Might be worth a shot

ETA I know its Scotland but you never know .....

Extract :

The free delivery is the latest in a string of charity initiatives that directors at Eagle Couriers have carried out in the past 12 months. Earlier this year, the firm ran a “special deliveries” initiative designed to provide equipment for under-funded community organisations across central Scotland.

The company has also picked the Five Sisters Zoo in West Lothian as its sponsored charity for 2009, and has helped raise money and awareness for the under-threat wildlife attraction.

Jerry Stewart, one of Eagle Couriers directors, said: “We always try to give something back to the local communities that we work in, so when we heard about Project Ability’s dilemma we jumped at the chance to help.

See that would be perfect or even if some sort of run could be organised for people like with bunny runs so that someone isn't doing the whole distance and back. I'm sure if it's on a Sunday I could persuade my OH to collect from HHeath and get to say Winchester or something like that then if someone could do Winchester to Oxford - Oxford to .... up north.:lol:

even if some sort of run could be organised for people like with bunny runs so that someone isn't doing the whole distance and back. l:

this was what iw as trying to get at - guess i didnt make it clear :/

however, if the tweet pays off we still need help to get the large dog crate from Canary Wharf to Norfolk - Bunny run anyone?!

still looking for someone who might be able to help get a large dog crate from canary wharf to horsford :D

(not sure on the status of the courier re the 6 hutches)

Back