• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding my bunny

shaunna

Young Bun
I have a female rabbit that is 11 months old now.
Shes perfectly healthy, she does have a slight head tilt but thats no longer a worry, she has all her vaccinations and worming and shes being spayed in just over a week.
The only problem i have is feeding her, she will only eat the museli type food and ive tried various bags. She will enjoy a bag of food for a little bit then refuse to eat for ages, i try everything, she has fresh vegetables daily which she is also refusing to eat again. Ive tried all bags of food, vegetables and treats.
Has anyone got any ideas on different ideas i can try her on or something different she can eat for a while?
Thanks.

mybunniess.jpg
[/IMG]

Have her teeth been checked? Does she eat much hay?

As for switching from muesli to pellets it can take a while. It's a bit like being given sweets all the time and then being handed a delicious dinner. It's not quite like sweets but is yummy in it's own way but can take a while to get used to. If her teeth are hurting her she may also find the muesli easier to eat. I think the first thing is to get her teeth checked.

Hi Again Shaunna.

Has she had her teeth checked at all? Does she eat much hay?

The fact shes refusing to eat makes me think dental issues.

Have her teeth been checked? Does she eat much hay?

As for switching from muesli to pellets it can take a while. It's a bit like being given sweets all the time and then being handed a delicious dinner. It's not quite like sweets but is yummy in it's own way but can take a while to get used to. If her teeth are hurting her she may also find the muesli easier to eat. I think the first thing is to get her teeth checked.

Yeah her teeth are fine, i check them regularly. Shes never been a big fan of hay, she eats it when she wants too. She has branches which she chews and a wood block for when she needs it.

Hi Again Shaunna.

Has she had her teeth checked at all? Does she eat much hay?

The fact shes refusing to eat makes me think dental issues.

Her teeth are fine, i always check them.

Shes never been a huge fan of hay since she were a baby, she has plenty provided but eats it when it pleases her.

She prefers branches to chew on and she has a wood block if she needs it.

Yeah her teeth are fine, i check them regularly. Shes never been a big fan of hay, she eats it when she wants too. She has branches which she chews and a wood block for when she needs it.

You can't check them yourself. They have a row of molars behind the front teeth which can't be seen. The vet can use an instrument (which I've forgotten the name of right now) to have a look but even then they can't all be seen properly unless the bunny is under general anaesthetic. Also branches and wood only grind down the front incisors not the molars. Only hay can grind those down. It really is sounding more and more like a teeth issue.

Shes never been a huge fan of hay since she were a baby, she has plenty provided but eats it when it pleases her.

I meant by a vet. Its impossible for you to check them properly :)

Schuette - the tool is an otoscope :)

You can't check them yourself. They have a row of molars behind the front teeth which can't be seen. The vet can use an instrument (which I've forgotten the name of right now) to have a look but even then they can't all be seen properly unless the bunny is under general anaesthetic. Also branches and wood only grind down the front incisors not the molars. Only hay can grind those down. It really is sounding more and more like a teeth issue.

My Saffy has her cheek teeth (molars) examined and trimmed every 4 weeks and has never had/needed anesthetic for it.

My Saffy has her cheek teeth (molars) examined and trimmed every 4 weeks and has never had/needed anesthetic for it.

Not many vets will do conscious dentals.

You can't physically checked *all* molars while bunny is conscious, from what i understand.

Schuette - the tool is an otoscope :)

Oh, is that what it's called. My Spenser is a fussy nommer and has been at the vet twice recently for checks with one of these. His teeth were fine as far as such a check can show (I believe some things only show up under GA).

Lilly wont let vets touch her, she only likes one vet and thats only to listen to her heart and give her vaccinations, the vet wont stress her out by forcing things in her mouth, i basically have to insert a tube to part her mouth and the vet looks.

I do check her teeth, when i hold her i tip her on her back and open her mouth, its pretty easy and her teeth are fine. The vets showed me how to check her back teeth too using a dropper to help part her mouth, she lets me do everything with her as im the only one she trusts. She hates other people messing with her medically expecially worming which i can only do.

Her eating has been a problem since i had her, shes had tests etc and theres nothing wrong with her health wise and they said its just a very fussy bunny .

Im just running out of things to try her on as ive had her 9 months now and its always the same she will eat good for a while then just stop eating.

Oh, is that what it's called. My Spenser is a fussy nommer and has been at the vet twice recently for checks with one of these. His teeth were fine as far as such a check can show (I believe some things only show up under GA).

Yeah the vets have done tests on Lilly to make sure there were no underlying problems and her teeth are checked on a regular basis.

They just said that shes fussy :(

The on-off nature just sounds a lot like what mummies of dental bunnies on here describe. Is your vet an exotics expert?

Maybe I'll leave someone else to answer.

Lilly wont let vets touch her, she only likes one vet and thats only to listen to her heart and give her vaccinations, the vet wont stress her out by forcing things in her mouth, i basically have to insert a tube to part her mouth and the vet looks.

I do check her teeth, when i hold her i tip her on her back and open her mouth, its pretty easy and her teeth are fine. The vets showed me how to check her back teeth too using a dropper to help part her mouth, she lets me do everything with her as im the only one she trusts. She hates other people messing with her medically expecially worming which i can only do.

Her eating has been a problem since i had her, shes had tests etc and theres nothing wrong with her health wise and they said its just a very fussy bunny .

Im just running out of things to try her on as ive had her 9 months now and its always the same she will eat good for a while then just stop eating.

I seriously believe it might be worth her going under sedation and for a truly rabbit savvy vet to check her teeth. It really does sound dental, but im no teeth expert - i'm only going on what i've learnt.

Back