• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excess Caecs, probably due to ABX

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Hi Guys,

Is there anything i can give to assist a bunny with pasteurella on a long term course of ABX who has excess caecs, after 2 doses of depocillin?

Are pro-biotics the kind of things to give in this instance, or am i barking up totally the wrong tree?

Help please :)

(For those of you who know, this is for Ginger)

Ta

Gray

Yip deffo probiotics :) I am having the same issue with my Inca just now, she has had the same reaction in the past to abx.

Fibreplex is good to get the guts back to normal quite quickly, but i dont use that long term. I use protexin pro-c pellets.

I buy both items from Vet UK.

Yip deffo probiotics :) I am having the same issue with my Inca just now, she has had the same reaction in the past to abx.

Fibreplex is good to get the guts back to normal quite quickly, but i dont use that long term. I use protexin pro-c pellets.

Thanks Kermit.

I'll go search for vet uk :)

Same :D :wave:

But I think you'll find they're called pro-fibre pellets (Protexin) ;):wave:

Same :D :wave:

But I think you'll find they're called pro-fibre pellets (Protexin) ;):wave:

Oops, i am getting mixed up with the pro-c that you get in PAH!!!

It is the pro-fibre pellets i am using.

Hey, its monday morning, i am allowed a few mistakes!!!! hehe.

Hmm, how many of these would you give?

I thought the protexin site may say, but it appears to have moved its page, so i'll search but thought id ask in the meantime...

Hmm, how many of these would you give?

I thought the protexin site may say, but it appears to have moved its page, so i'll search but thought id ask in the meantime...

Mine share half a scoop (scoop comes in tub). If you feed normal pellets then you can feed these instead (or go half and half) or just give a few - it's entirely up to you. :wave:

Mine share half a scoop (scoop comes in tub). If you feed normal pellets then you can feed these instead (or go half and half) or just give a few - it's entirely up to you. :wave:

I'll have to seperate her from Biccy to feed them as they are scatter fed each day, so Biccy will end up hoovering them up lol.

At £10.90 per tub, i don't want to give them to Biccy when its only Ginger who really needs them :)

I give my two half a scoop a day, i also just feed their normal pellet amount of science selective. It is only really Inca that needs the probiotics, but there is no way i could not give Herbie them too. They both go nuts for them, they think of them as treats.

I'll have to seperate her from Biccy to feed them as they are scatter fed each day, so Biccy will end up hoovering them up lol.

At £10.90 per tub, i don't want to give them to Biccy when its only Ginger who really needs them :)

:lol: Good luck with that! ;):lol:

Mine go more mad for these than they do fenugreek crunchies! :love:

:lol: Good luck with that! ;):lol:

Mine go more mad for these than they do fenugreek crunchies! :love:

:shock: Is that even possible?

I got nipped by BOTH over the weekend as i didnt get the crunchy out the tub quick enough :shock:

Ginger hasn't nipped me for over a month (she did it as a 'test' to make sure i was me, im sure of it!) and Biccy, well, he doesnt do biting or nipping (except once, when i picked him up wrongly :()

Yip, my two are EXACTLY the same. They hear me picking up the tub and they run about like complete maniacs!

:lol: Yes SAME! :lol:

They chase each other in circles thinking the other one has them... like dogs chasing their tails... hilarious! You just have to shake the tub and they come flying into the room! :love:

As these are expensive, i just dont buy treats like fenugreek crunchies any more. I just use these and they honestly go down a storm.

I gave Mischa some probiotic powder but I read it's got glucose in it so I only gave it to them for a couple of days. If he has to have more injections (oh please no) I might order these for him instead.

mine have always been given bio-lapis but its difficult to find out how much - if any - they're having:?

Back