• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metal runs- rusting?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Some of my metal runs i left out in the garden- the hexagon ones off zooplus have rusted. Are they still okay to use safety wise? Does it weaken the bars etc?

I'm not sure, I would think they would probably be OK still, but still probably best not to leave them unsupervised.

Were they not galvanised? They usually are so they don't rust. My two Zooplus runs are out 24/7, all year round, and have not gone rusty yet.

I'm not sure, I would think they would probably be OK still, but still probably best not to leave them unsupervised.

Were they not galvanised? They usually are so they don't rust. My two Zooplus runs are out 24/7, all year round, and have not gone rusty yet.

Yes but the buns buried them with mud and instead of pulling them out, i left them there and ended up with the runs being underground partly. This is where they seem to have rusted. They have been left out unattended in bad weather.

I'd be worried about them chewing/licking the bars. Can't rust poison an animal? Zinc poisoning or something? I know that you're not supposed to use rusty cages for birds for that reason.

I'd be worried about them chewing/licking the bars. Can't rust poison an animal? Zinc poisoning or something? I know that you're not supposed to use rusty cages for birds for that reason.

No idea. This is what I'd like to know really- any hazards. Thanks for pointing this out- I'll look into it.

Anything i could wrap round the bottoms to protect them from getting to it? I need to do this anyway to give them extra security. I spent about £400 on runs at the time, would be a shame to have to bin them. I have several.

Indeed, I think it's not very save anymore.
Also if the bars are very rusty, they aren't that strong anymore.

Maybe you can reinforce them with some ply wood? It may also protect your buns from chewing at the bars.

Back