• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do you do a FULL clean out of hutches?

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
For people with outdoor (or even indoor) bunnies. How often do you clear all bedding, hay, litter trays and wipe down the hutch?

Everyday / 2 day - litter tray
Woodshavings - once per week
hay in bed area - not very often in winter as they build nests
- once per week
disinfect hutch - every week
full wash and scrub - twice per year
Food bowls - once a week
:wave:

I dont have hutches I have sheds but as a rule I brush out the floors and runs every other day (every day in the summer) and take any wet or muck out of the litter trays. Once a week I completely empty everything out and disinfect weather permitting

Full cleanout once a week for the outdoor rabbits (with litter tray changes approx. every other day)

Full cleanout either every other day or twice per week for the indoor rabbits, because I have 13 rabbits in the house atm and don't want the house to get too stinky! :lol:

I don't have hutches either but I do a full clean of the playhouse and the bunny room once a week. And I do litters trays every other day ish

I did a full clean out today, gosh, took hours! :shock:

Blossom's hutch and the guinea pig hutch is cleaned out fully once a week and the shelter in the shed for the other 3 bunnies is cleaned out and floor gets an extra good brush. I clean out litter trays and sweep the shed every day though. :)

Indoor bunnies here... :wave:

Every morning and night I put in a large handful or two of hay in their litter trays.
Every day I sweep the floor of the rooms and tip it back into the litter trays.
Every 3 days (every 2 in summer) I change the litter trays for ones with new litter and hay.
Every week we take the old trays to the allotment where they are emptied on the compost heap and then I wash the trays out with boiling water.
Every now and then I do one or two of the following... mop the floors/get the hoover out to get those hard to reach places/dust/hoover curtains and blankets/wash blankets.

Last edited:
Full Clean out every 24 hours. I have lino down though so it's just the bedding area that i clean and the litter tray.

I do this regardless of if it's clean or not, so to refresh the hay as I'm not using hay racks at the moment for the outdoor bunnies.

Indoor bunnies the same, except it is the entire indoor bases that i clean out and hay is kept in hay racks inside.

Run areas are swept and i use spray clean and safe disinfectant as required.

I have done away completely with weekly cleans and clean daily only. I don't have hutches full of bedding though.

Litter trays twice weekly, sweep out of runs once weekly.Both dont wee or poo in their wendy houses at all so I dont tend to dig out all the straw and hay and just add plenty more in!

With indoor and outdoor bunnies, every other day is a litter tray, half the living quarters cleaned out.Once a week for the whole thing, including bed.
Ruby the parrot and the ferrets get a full clean every other day.:wave:

Ourdoor bunnies get full change over every 2 weeks. The bedding just doesn't get dirty really. Litter tray every 3 days (its HUGE).

Once a week I empty the hutches. Litter trays every other day. I only disinfect if I've had a poorly bunny other wise I don't.

I don't believe in disinfecting unless absolutely necessary, having things to clean encourages lower immune systems in my view :)

Once a week I empty the hutches. Litter trays every other day. I only disinfect if I've had a poorly bunny other wise I don't.

I don't believe in disinfecting unless absolutely necessary, having things to clean encourages lower immune systems in my view :)

Why not disinfect with vinegar instead :)

Full clean out once a week. Litter trays every other day or every day if required and in summer.

Excess or stray poops swept up as needed! :lol::roll:

I use vinegar sometimes on my trays to get rid of any scaly marks but normally I just use boiling water and an old washing up brush, then dry with kitchen roll. I always mop with some warm water and vinegar.

I thought disinfectant wasnt good with buns.It certainly isnt with cats....I got some of that cage cleaning stuff for my lot, but I line with newspapers so dont really use the stuff.

I have 3 buns outdoors in a playhouse and run :wave:

Litter trays get emptied and refilled everyday and disinfected once a week (or as necessary).

I replace straw bedding every week (or as necessary)

I do a general clean of the playhouse (pick up stray poop and wet hay/ straw), I do a general clean of the run every 3 days or so.

I do a full clean every other week in the winter and once a week in the summer

Indoor buns so no hutch; I give the bunny main area a sweep out every day and a clean when it need. Litter trays are changed all the time. :oops:

Back