• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Side effects of vaccinations?

Alicia

Mama Doe
When I get some rabbits I will of course get them vaccinated when they need them (I think I read myxi was every 6 months and VHD was once a year?) and I just wanted to know if there are any side effects to the vaccinations or what they will be like after they've got the vaccinations, in behaviour.

For all vaccinations the rabbit may feel a bit down and off-colour for about a day. After a day they would normally be back to their full selves.

In the case of the VHD vaccine that is an additional risk that they may get sore legs and appear to be limping around. This usually passes after a few days. A lot of people think the limp is more common in the Cylap VHD vaccine and less common in the Lapinject VHD vaccine. Most vets use Cylap so you may ask about the other.

One of my buns had a watery eye (just one) a couple of days after her myxi. As the same thing happened the time before I queried it straight away and the vet said this "can" be a side affect. It did clear up on its own after 3-4 days and bathing (this happened on both occasions I have had her done for myxi). I haven't heard of anyone else with this though :? Guess it could have been coincidence.

For VHD there is a new vaccine called Anivac. It is supposed to have even less side effects than Lapinet and comes in one dose vials rather than the 5 dose vials which have to be used in one day that Lapinet does.

Back