• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Disinfecting a hutch

lunarmoon92

Young Bun
Come this spring I want to give the bottom floor of my hutch a good clean/disinfect.

Does anybody know which products are best to use?

Thanks

Do you have Dettol in the UK?
That is what we use here in Holland.
Also we use (cleaning) vinegar, it also helps to remove the crystal from the bunny-pee. Just let it rest for a wile, and than you can remove the stain with a cloth. It's also very handy for the toilets aswell.

I used white vinegar and water 50/50 mixed. Then sprayed with hutch disinfectant from Wikinsons (about £2). I did it early on, on a warm day, when the rabbits were in the run, so it had time to dry out.

I used to use dettol then I'd rinse it afterwards though. One vet used to use this. My other vet said no dettol and used trigene. I use clean and safe at the moment - johnsons.

I also use vinegar or a mixture of bleach & water if hutches are having a one off clean down- as long as they are rinsed and also dryed before putting bunnies back in and any smell has gone- i.e fumes. So aired as well.

Needless to say i don't do the last one too much. Sometimes i don't think vinegar is enough though.

I wouldn't use dettol anywhere near rabbits - apart from the fact that it is toxic (contains phenols) and gives off fumes which can be damaging to buns if breathed in, it is restricted in the type of bacteria it kills and probably won't work anyway as it is inactivated both by organic matter (i.e. all those little bits and pieces that you can't quite get to when you clean a hutch) and even by the chemical compounds in hard water!

I would recommend you buy a good quality veterinary disinfectant like trigene, F10 or virkon. All are tested to make sure they work on a good range of veterinary bacteria, viruses and some other nasties, and are safe to use around animals. They're not all that cheap to buy but are often very concentrated so last ages and it's worth having some available all the time for general animal cleaning uses. Failing that, I would use boiling water if it is safe to do so for you and any animals, and if you have the time to ensure it can dry properly before use.

I wouldn't use dettol anywhere near rabbits - apart from the fact that it is toxic (contains phenols) and gives off fumes which can be damaging to buns if breathed in, it is restricted in the type of bacteria it kills and probably won't work anyway as it is inactivated both by organic matter (i.e. all those little bits and pieces that you can't quite get to when you clean a hutch) and even by the chemical compounds in hard water!

I would recommend you buy a good quality veterinary disinfectant like trigene, F10 or virkon. All are tested to make sure they work on a good range of veterinary bacteria, viruses and some other nasties, and are safe to use around animals. They're not all that cheap to buy but are often very concentrated so last ages and it's worth having some available all the time for general animal cleaning uses. Failing that, I would use boiling water if it is safe to do so for you and any animals, and if you have the time to ensure it can dry properly before use.

I use Virkon - buy tub on-line. Expensive - but tub lasts for ages.

This I didn't know. In Holland dettol is recomanded, but I am going to spread the word out in Holland!

Check that it's the same product first - sometimes the same brand name has a different ingredient in different countries! For instance benadryl (a hay fever remedy) in the UK contains cetirizine, in the US and Canada it contains diphenhydramine. So it's worth double checking first :)

Back