• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snuffles, Rabbit cannot breathe

holder

Alpha Buck
My sisters rabbit, Blue is 9 years old. Friday she took him to the vets has he started sneezing. The vet gave him an injection of Baytril & Rimady injection. She gave her Baytril to give twice a day at 5ml. Saturday he was worse & called the vet & she gave him some power & to use a pinch twice a day mixed with water.

Today we took him to the emergency vet. I was shock to see him. He cannot breathe, the noise he makes is horrible. His nose is covered with whiteish discharge. He cannot sneeze it out not. My sister asked the vet to change the meds to Septrin & she agreed it would be better for him, but they don't have it in. She also said she could hear the fluid when she examined him.
All the vet could do was give him Metacam.

He is in a bad way & I don't think he will last the night. My sister as an air purifier & puts in something to help him breathe. The other thing is, his temp as dropped. He isn't eating now & she as gave him the emergancy food.

Is there any advice anyone can give to help him at all.
Thanks in advance.

Could you 'phone the vets and see if they have any suggestions.
Sorry, I've no experience of this at all, but really hope that you get some help.
Some people on here have used nebulisers for snuffly bunnies I think?
Sending lots of vibes.

Thanks, she as called an other 2 vets but they have both gone through to the same emergency vet to where she as been today :(

Type emergency vets and your area into google. Most of them will go back to the same emergency vets, but some of them will have their own independant emergency vets. Also try your local RSPCA centre - they may have a supply of it :)

It sounds as though he has pneumonia :cry:
He urgently needs admission for intensive care. This is likely to include IV antibiotics, a diuretic to try to shift the fluid,ongoing NSAIDs, maybe a bronchodilator and a mucylitic, oxygen, IV fluids, heatlamp, assisted feeds.

This really is very serious and I would urge you to try to get a Vet to provide appropriate treatment.

Poor Bunny :cry:

Type emergency vets and your area into google. Most of them will go back to the same emergency vets, but some of them will have their own independant emergency vets. Also try your local RSPCA centre - they may have a supply of it :)

Thank you :)
I will get on to that now. I have told my sister to call Chine House Vet. They have their own vets for emergency & now I will call the RSPCA.
Thank you.

Thank you :)
I will get on to that now. I have told my sister to call Chine House Vet. They have their own vets for emergency & now I will call the RSPCA.
Thank you.

No ptoblems, let us know how you get on :)

I hate to say it but I agree with Jacks Jane - he sounds very poorly indeed :(

It sounds as though he has pneumonia :cry:
He urgently needs admission for intensive care. This is likely to include IV antibiotics, a diuretic to try to shift the fluid,ongoing NSAIDs, maybe a bronchodilator and a mucylitic, oxygen, IV fluids, heatlamp, assisted feeds.

This really is very serious and I would urge you to try to get a Vet to provide appropriate treatment.

Poor Bunny :cry:

Thanks Jane, She told the vet all the things you said on here & the lady who answered the phone said, the vet might not be able to deal with him as they are not registered :cry: still waiting on the vet to call back.

She is back on the phone to the emergency vet now.
I cannot believe vets are like this. I thought they would of picked up on this. Now you have said it Jane, It looks like your right. The vets miss so much when it comes to rabbits :cry:

No advice but sending him lots of vibes. I hope you can get him the treatment he needs.

Can't the other vets register you when you go down.

As i mentioned on the other thread- please do remember to make sure your sister gives her bunny a kiss and cuddle if this is goodbye. My immediate thoughts are pneumonia which combined with snuffles is not good.

I have just lost my own snuffle bun and it's a struggle for them when they are at this stage of fighting. Make sure most of all that this bunny is snuggled and given lots of love and support in it's last moments, if it's time for blue to go.

It's easy to rush around trying to fix something that can't be fixed when all the bunny really needed was to be comforted. If the bunny's life energy is weak it might be time.

Best advice- get her to go with her bunny to the vet. If the vets say there is nothing they can do. Just try and make things as easy as possible for the bunny and comfort him as much as possible.

Lots of vibes and love and hoping the bunny will pull through xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

One of my bridge bunnies had to be PTS after something very similar to this, she developed pneumonia too and the end came very quickly, really hope the little man can be helped, it's truly heartbreaking :(

Last edited:
I too was going to say it sounds like Pneumonia, they go downhill very, very fast. My Simba had this and had to be PTS :(

tell the vet youll register when you get there.

my bertie has pasturella and hes had the white snot twice..and just clear discharge around his nostrils.

but the second white snot he sneezed out on the floor..and he went for a deep nasal swab...wide awake!! they sent it to the labs and found it was responsive to baytril.

he gets bouts and has to have baytril..like this time..but ive been lucky no white snot anymore.

im sorry theres not an understanding vet:(

all i can do is send as many vibes as i can. xxxx

Back