• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this hutch suitable for ......

Is a 5ft X 2ft single hutch suitable for a single Dutch bunny ?

Will it be attached to a run permanently? Why a single? Will he/she be getting a friend soon?

The RSPCA minimum sizes are a 6ft x4ft hutch permanently attached to a 6ft x4ft run. There are no guidelines for single rabbits as they shouldn't be kept alone :wave:

Will it be attached to a run permanently? Why a single? Will he/she be getting a friend soon?

The RSPCA minimum sizes are a 6ft x4ft hutch permanently attached to a 6ft x4ft run. There are no guidelines for single rabbits as they shouldn't be kept alone :wave:

No run attatched but the rabbit will be out in a separate run all day. She may get a friend but not at the moment.

I think you mean 6ft x 2ft for the hutch. :)

As long as bunny gets in a run all day, I think it's fine. :)

No run attatched but the rabbit will be out in a separate run all day. She may get a friend but not at the moment.

In which case a 5ft hutch is definitely too small, ok for a shelter inside the run though. At this time of year she could be confined for 16 hours a day or more. You would be much better off with a shed or playhouse or at the very least a 6ft hutch :wave:

I learnt from this forum that the minimum for one bun is a 5ft but for two a 6ft. The guidelines have suddenly changed so my single bun sleeps in a 5ft but is in a 7ft run with a shelter all day. We don't have room for a 6ft in the shed so we are hoping she bonds with my other 3 rabbits soon, she can have free run of the shed with them. :D

If you can, get as big as possible. :)

I personally wouldnt put a bun bigger than a nethie in a 5x2ft hutch :wave: I have 2 nethies in a 5ft double hutch and its only just big enough for them :wave:

I regret buying a 5 feet hutch, although mine is a two-storey (with underrun). It's OK for Spenser if he gets out during the day, but this isn't always possible. Also it means the current accomodation (cost £300) is not suitable if I got a friend for Spenser. I'd definitely try for a 6 feet hutch if you have space.

I regret buying a 5 feet hutch, although mine is a two-storey (with underrun). It's OK for Spenser if he gets out during the day, but this isn't always possible. Also it means the current accomodation (cost £300) is not suitable if I got a friend for Spenser. I'd definitely try for a 6 feet hutch if you have space.

yeah, my mum only ets me have the hutches on the patio and the runs on the garden, I am picking up my 6ft X 3ft hutch wth run attatched on 29th Jan, I also have my french lop that needs a new hutch to and I have to buy the housing with my christmas/birthday/pocket money. So I am looking at the cheaper options as I am getting another dutch this year :)

yeah, my mum only ets me have the hutches on the patio and the runs on the garden, I am picking up my 6ft X 3ft hutch wth run attatched on 29th Jan, I also have my french lop that needs a new hutch to and I have to buy the housing with my christmas/birthday/pocket money. So I am looking at the cheaper options as I am getting another dutch this year :)

I thought you already had a hutch for harry? :) and you mean 2 dutch. ;)

I think the bigger the better, even for one bunny :)

You just said you want another dutch... will s/he be bonding with your current one? If so you dont want to go and buy the 5ft and then have to go out and buy a 6ft one when they are bonded... so i say get the larger hutch then you wont need to worry when he gets a friend :wave:

Probably sort out all the accomodation for the rabbits you have, before planning more :thumb:
this is what I was thinking.:?

I also wouldn't go taking on a single bun unless you have plans to bond with a rabbit/rabbits you already have, it's just not fair to keep a rabbit alone.
If your intention is to bond with your existing rabbits, you could let the rescue you get the bun from do the bonding for you and then put them all back in the housing you already have, eliminating the need to spend more money on redundant housing.:)

In answer to your original question I would say definitely go for as large as possible. It would have to be at least a 6ft hutch if no run is attached.

Back