• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I walked out on the 'rabbit day' UD pic of 'Pie' p45 UD BORDETELLA

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
Pets at home should be ashamed.

Firstly, my poster was not displayed anywhere, so noone even realised why I was there (thats the second poster I gave them).

They wanted to put me by the door, I asked to be by the animals, which they allowed.

I got to watch the animals all day, there was a guinea who was getting 'jiggy' with all the others, I asked why and they said

"That guinea has been out back as he had a cold. We only put him out this morning so hes a bit excited"

After a while, the guinea all of a sudden was .... kind of gasping...... it was lain out flat with his tummy jerking and his eyes all funny. I pointed him out to a member of staff again and they said

"Hes fine, hes just sleeping".

At 1pm, it got too much. I bought the guinea, packed up my things and left for Alices.

I dont feel I educated anyone as noone wanted to talk to me. Mai didnt make it so I was quite alone. Every person I spoke too broke my heart a little more :( Stories like "I have one rabbit, we want another, what do you suggest?" So I spoke about spaying and bonding and they turned around and said "oh no, I dont want it spayed, we just want another rabbit... which one would be best?" *pointing to the buns in the cages*. :( One person was asking me how old the degus were, of course, I didnt know. One member of staff was talking to me about degus.... "Degus need hay more than rabbits or guinea pigs do, you can just give rabbits and guinea pigs fruit or veg instead".

:roll:

Last edited:
Aaaw I'm so sorry you day didn't go well, sadly ignorance has a lot to answer to.
Maybe write the manager a 'feedback' letter, so they know you wasn't happy and why you felt the need to leave. (not that you're explaining yourself) but just so they know how it went ;)

Aaaw I'm so sorry you day didn't go well, sadly ignorance has a lot to answer to.
Maybe write the manager a 'feedback' letter, so they know you wasn't happy and why you felt the need to leave. (not that you're explaining yourself) but just so they know how it went ;)

Im going to 'feedback' to the RWAF first. They might send a letter or email on my behalf.

They really shouldnt have sold the guinea to me, but thank goodness they did.

Sorry to hear it didn't go well :(

I've applied for a job at PAH as assistant manager, to be honest I'm not sure I could take working there.You've just helped make up my mind about that :)

I've applied for a job at PAH as assistant manager, to be honest I'm not sure I could take working there.You've just helped make up my mind about that :)

You might be able to do some good things there though. It's easier to influence from the inside :lol:

I agree with the others about complaining. I hope the guinea pig is OK. Well done to you for trying, sorry it was an awful day for you :(

But then a change from the inside may allow others to follow in suit.

Pie, named after the mathematical symbol (and number) is now at Alices and appeared weak.... not wriggling at all :-/ Alice gave him a feel over and is keeping a close eye on him. He has plenty of hay to hide in now.

Agree with the others....a well educated person to lead by example...the rest will follow to your standards...or...you sack them!! :lol::lol::lol:

Well, I wouldnt NOT apply for a job, but Alice knew someone who DID have a job there, and they hated it. I always wanted to work there, but today changed my mind. As an assistant manager, you have some control, so you could change things for the good? Advise people better? Not display or stock the small hutches etc? I dont know how much control you have, but its worth a go?

I was just an 'outsider', I am sure you would be more welcomed.

My ONE experience at doing a PAH awareness day for RWA was exactly the same - I ended up very sad and frstrated (both with the public and the totally unhelpful and negative PAH staff who really DIDN'T want me there. ) and also with two female rabbits who were up for re-adoption for a THIRD time!!!

I reported back to RWA and also said I would never do another one.

My ONE experience at doing a PAH awareness day for RWA was exactly the same - I ended up very sad and frstrated (both with the public and the totally unhelpful and negative PAH staff who really DIDN'T want me there. ) and also with two female rabbits who were up for re-adoption for a THIRD time!!!

I reported back to RWA and also said I would never do another one.

Oh, thats sad :( I dont think I will be doing another one either..... its a shame because I thought P@H were meant to be working hard with the RWAF.... but instead, I felt unwelcome.....the staff were 'stealing' people who wanted to talk about buns, instead of point them towards me.... you know?? :(

Well I've already applied....
To be honest though, I reckon the way things are run won't be changed. It'll besome fat cat at head office who says how things are done. All they will see is the money and profit. The animals will just be statistics to them :(

Ler's see what happens though.

Well I've already applied....
To be honest though, I reckon the way things are run won't be changed. It'll besome fat cat at head office who says how things are done. All they will see is the money and profit. The animals will just be statistics to them :(

Ler's see what happens though.

Hence why the poorly bun got put out on a Sunday which is their busiest day......

Exactly.I dunno how true it is, but a friend who used to live in Southampton used to work next door to a PAH. Apparantly the animals just get shipped in in big crates like cattle :( Sickening

Back