• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

SS vs A&P advice needed...

Wondergirl

Alpha Buck
I got my bunnies just over a week ago, and they came with a bag of A&P pellets. Nowhere near me sold these so I decided to wean them onto SS pellets instead.

However, I popped into my local farm shop today and they had big 20kg bags of the A&P pellets on sale for £8.99. They only sell the small 1.5kg bags of SS for £3.99, but said they could order me a big 10kg one for £21.99.

Now obviously the A&P works out better value, so Im considering weaning them back onto the A&P stuff. They have only just been weaned off it, so I was wondering if it would be safe to do so. What do you guys think?

Also, nutritionally, what is best? I cant seem to find a comparison anywhere. Help! :?

If you still have packaging from both of the brands, you can look at the nutritional content of both:)
Fibre content is the most important one to look at, the higher the better! They normally separate it into beneficial fibre, and total fibre content.

If you still have packaging from both of the brands, you can look at the nutritional content of both:)
Fibre content is the most important one to look at, the higher the better! They normally separate it into beneficial fibre, and total fibre content.

I have the packaging from the SS stuff because I bought that, but the A&P stuff was given to me in carrier bag as it was intended as changeover feed :(

Is there any one who lives in your area who would be prepared to split a sack with you, would defiantely keep the cost down

I pay £20 for a 10kg sack of SS. I've two rabbits.

The date on the bag is sometime in 2012 and as the sack has holes in it, i presume the pellets (if stored correctly) would last until then.

I cant comment on the A&P as i've never used it. Mine looove their SS pellets. :D

Thank you :D I must have missed that.

Is a general rule 'the more fibre the better'?
A&P has a higher fibre content but less protein and oil.
Oil is good for coats, yes? What does protein do? :?

I have no idea personally but just above the chart it says this: An adult rabbit should have a food with a fibre content of at least 18-20% and a protein content of around 12-14%. Young rabbits need a higher protein level of around 16% as they are still developing.

I dont know about the oil, sorry.

I feed all 6 of mine on A&P and they all do very well on it. :)

ETA: I think with our 6 bunnies we just about get through the large sack within the 3 months, so I dont know if you would get through it in time with 2 bunnies, but you can buy it in smaller amounts from Bunny Bazaar.

I have no idea personally but just above the chart it says this: An adult rabbit should have a food with a fibre content of at least 18-20% and a protein content of around 12-14%. Young rabbits need a higher protein level of around 16% as they are still developing.

I dont know about the oil, sorry.

I feed all 6 of mine on A&P and they all do very well on it. :)

ETA: I think with our 6 bunnies we just about get through the large sack within the 3 months, so I dont know if you would get through it in time with 2 bunnies, but you can buy it in smaller amounts from Bunny Bazaar.

Im just concerned that I wont manage to get through a huuuge bag but it is so much cheaper than the SS stuff and the bag is twice the size!

I pay £20 for a 10kg sack of SS. I've two rabbits.

The date on the bag is sometime in 2012 and as the sack has holes in it, i presume the pellets (if stored correctly) would last until then.

I cant comment on the A&P as i've never used it. Mine looove their SS pellets. :D

Mine have only just switched from A&P to SS and they seem happy enough on it. How long does your 10kg bag of SS last your two? How often and how much do you feed them? (Just so I can try and work out how long it will last my two).

Aaargh decisions decisons...

If only bunnies could talk, then I could ask them!

hf.jpg

Mine have only just switched from A&P to SS and they seem happy enough on it. How long does your 10kg bag of SS last your two? How often and how much do you feed them? (Just so I can try and work out how long it will last my two).

It's the first sack i've bought - i used to get the smaller bags but it worked out cheaper to get the big bag and it means i dont have to enter a pet shop as often.

I feed them a cup a day (split over 2 feeding times)

I was recommended SS by the rescue that Daisy came from - they say it is the best feed - so i weaned Lucky off Excel and onto SS and they've both been on it since.

Their coats are in lovely condition and both are very healthy.

Personally I would no longer feed A+P as many of my Rabbits lost condition on it.
If you can afford Science Selective I would go with that. Better still try to get your Buns on to a 100% 'natural' diet of a variety of hays,grass, fresh veg,herbs and edible leaves and weeds, no pellets at all :)

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/going_green_oct_06.pdf

Jane, what are the kinds of things that would indicate loss of condition? Just so I can keep an eye out for it with my buns.

I would like to feed a more natural diet for them all, I would like to grow some wild weeds this year for them.

Back