• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just read about a ferret rescue that feeds live rabbits :(

Yeah, unfortunately this is on ferret forums a lot. It seems to be popular with ferret owners. I had to stop going on them. They do this with all kinds of animals. chicks, ducklings, mice, rats, hamsters etc. Its disgusting. They go on and on about how they want to do the best for their ferrets and that includes live feeding because it's enriching and they even teach them to kill them. If their ferret doesn't they keep trying with more. Who knows how they kill half dead animals when the ferrets don't.

Ferrets of course shouldn't be blamed for this though. :)

It's not legal to feel live vertibrates unless they refuse to eat anything else. So it's almost certainly illegal and should be reported.

If the guy is feeding rabbits though he may not be giving them live. I know of a few ferret owners who buy the odd whole DEAD rabbit to give a little enrichment. Can't say I could though.

Sick:cry: it shocks me how a human being could watch when their ferret kills a rabbit. :evil:i just can't understand it. I have people walk past my with ferrets,dogs and usually dead rabbits I always tell the how wrong I feel it is.

If they are being fed live then it needs reporting. I'm not sure of the legalities of it but I think it's along the lines of pet animals aren't allowed to be purchased and fed to others. Have a horrible feeling that if he's breeding them himself then there might not be much anyone could do about it though.

If he's feeding them dead rabbits then there's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
It's not legal to feel live vertibrates unless they refuse to eat anything else. So it's almost certainly illegal and should be reported.

I'm pretty sure there's people on Holistic Ferrets in the UK that feed live, but I suppose no one reports them. That place (and other ferrets forums where it's allowed) is so sick, the way they casually talk about how their ferret/cat/dog didn't make a 'clean' kill (meaning the animal suffered for quite awhile), and the way they raise the animals isn't much better than a factory farm. Their 'breeder racks' are just like what I've seen rodent mills have. Plus some just go to Petsmart and purchase animals, lying about what they're going to do with them. What sick people :cry:

I'm pretty sure there's people on Holistic Ferrets in the UK that feed live, but I suppose no one reports them. That place (and other ferrets forums where it's allowed) is so sick, the way they casually talk about how their ferret/cat/dog didn't make a 'clean' kill (meaning the animal suffered for quite awhile), and the way they raise the animals isn't much better than a factory farm. Their 'breeder racks' are just like what I've seen rodent mills have. Plus some just go to Petsmart and purchase animals, lying about what they're going to do with them. What sick people :cry:

Sorry to bump up this thread, but I agree with this poster entirely. I was looking for some ferret information and it led me to that site. They have a live feeding section there, with threads and posts of people bragging about their kill, being so "proud". And ironically when their ferret leaves a mangled, but still alive animal, suddenly their empathy comes out despite the fact they caused it in the first place using the ferret as a tool! Incredible! These people are disgusting. I posted a thread on there to see what other ferret owners had to say about it here. A couple of the posts on the Live Feeding section were interesting:

Sane ferret owner: "Hey, id just like to say i agree with this.. its illegal where i live too, because the mice have no chance of escaping like they would naturally in the wild so its just cruelty- its putting the mice through un-necessary pain and suffering and when there is an alternative (buying them already dead) I dont agree with it.
I tend to stay away from the live feeding section because watching the videos only upsets/ annoys me, especially when a lot of the ferrets dont actually eat the mice afterwards, this seems pretty pointless to me to put the mice through un-necessary suffering."

Admin: "And you are entitled to your opinion, Claire. But that opinion has no place on this particular board. Not sure if you read the info at the start of the live feeding board, but if any comment is made outside this thread, it will be deleted. "

They're scum.

Back