• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many rabbits are PTS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
Not to start another argument :roll: but the other thread was locked before I could ask.

Does anyone know how many rabbits are put to sleep on a daily or yearly basis in the UK? Healthy ones that have nothing wrong with them I mean, just being PTS for lack of a home?

Thousands and thousands, I'm sure. I mean, just look at preloved for evidence. How can there be homes for thousands and thousands of rabbits without a lot of them being pts? Talk about blind....

More dogs and cats are also pts in the UK than the US. Just look it up.

ETA: Just from a quick search I found this http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/about.asp "Every year 33,000 rabbits are handed into rescues centres and many more are rehomed privately." You guys really think there's homes for that many rabbits, per year? Not unless they're giving them to other countries :roll: Each person in the UK would have to own several rabbits.

Last edited:
Thousands and thousands, I'm sure. I mean, just look at preloved for evidence. How can there be homes for thousands and thousands of rabbits without a lot of them being pts? Talk about blind....

More dogs and cats are also pts in the UK than the US. Just look it up.

I SAID I DIDN'T WANT AN ARGUMENT! No need to call me blind, I just wanted some facts. :roll:

I know all about dog numbers in the UK, and no where was the US mentioned at all. I want UK facts.

I wasn't calling you blind, I was referring to Teflons who kept telling me to open my eyes when she's the one who's blind.

I didn't read through this completely, and it does seem to be a bit dated, but this seems quite interesting:

http://www.rabbited.0catch.com/over.html

Specifically this:

Just The Facts:
Pet Products Manufacturing Assoc. in 1996 estimtes over 4 million pet rabbits residing within 1.44 million households. In the 1994 issue of Shelter Sense from HSUS the number of pet rabbits in the US was 3.3 million from the American Pet Products Manufacturers Assoc. If one uses the 1996 estimate of 43,519 rabbits abandoned in US shelters that is only 1.09% of the total pet rabbit population.
"In 1996, about 5.1 million animals-1.5 million dogs, 3.5 million cats and some raccoons, skunks, ferrets, gerbils, were euthanized in shelters, says Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, a 15,000-circulation newspaper based in C Wash. That's down tremendously from the 17.8 million put down in 1987, the peak of recorded shelter euthanasia, he says." Animal Supporters At Odds by Martha Waggoner 5/11/97. So we do know that there were less than 100,000 "other" animals euthanized at shelters in 1996.

According to the AVMA there are 59 million cats and 52.9 million dogs kept as pets. So according to this information and that of Animal People, 6% of the total pet cat population was euthanized and 3% of the total pet dog population.

UK Rabbit numbers
"17,500 unwanted rabbits in 1996 passed through rescue centres" Linda Dykes BHRA 1997
"The resolution of rabbit behaviour problems is still, however, a minority interest-rescue societies are inundated with unwanted pet rabbits. Records of the number of rabbits put to sleep because of behaviour problems are scarce, but a survey conducted in 1995 indicated that 16,000 rabbits were given up to UK rescue centres. In 1997 a survey of 200 UK rescue centres, conducted by Morwen Abbott of one known as 'Cottontails', showed that this number had increased to 24,000." Pg. 21-22 "Why Does My Rabbit? By Anne McBride @1998
According to the same book in 1995 the rabbit was the third most popular mammalian pet in the UK (Cat #1 and Dog #2) with over 1.4 million kept as pets in the UK. What is encouraging is that the number of rabbits abandoned per year (24,000 in 1997) is only 1.7% of the total pet rabbit population.

I didn't read through this completely, and it does seem to be a bit dated, but this seems quite interesting:

http://www.rabbited.0catch.com/over.html

Specifically this:

Thanks.

I think I've come to the conclusion that the way to stop the problem of rabbits being pts, is to enforce pet shops to neuter- that would mean they couldn't sell babies- they would have to be old enough to be neutered before being sold- it would increase the prices of rabbits for sale and put of anyone who wasn't serious. When the bunny got home- it wouldn't be creating accidental litters. Breeders would be required by law to neuter pet rabbits that were going to new homes. I think this would help alot :)

Yeah, I scanned that too. Interesting that there's over 17,000 given up to rescues in 1996, yet only 43,519 given to rescues in the US in 1996. When you think of the huge size difference between the two countries you can see the huge difference there. The UK is slightly smaller than Oregon....

Yeah, I scanned that too. Interesting that there's over 17,000 given up to rescues in 1996, yet only 43,519 given to rescues in the US in 1996. When you think of the huge size difference between the two countries you can see the huge difference there. The UK is slightly smaller than Oregon....

You like making it a UK vs US thing don't you? :roll:

Thanks.

I think I've come to the conclusion that the way to stop the problem of rabbits being pts, is to enforce pet shops to neuter- that would mean they couldn't sell babies- they would have to be old enough to be neutered before being sold- it would increase the prices of rabbits for sale and put of anyone who wasn't serious. When the bunny got home- it wouldn't be creating accidental litters. Breeders would be required by law to neuter pet rabbits that were going to new homes. I think this would help alot :)

I absolutely agree. But I think it will be nearly impossible to pass :( People have always had the right to whether they neuter or not. People will get VERY fired up. Plus, this puts extra stress on breeders, as they will have to care/feed/house rabbits until adult age. Less flow, less profit, you get the picture :? (good thing for us, BAAAAD thing for them)
I wish something like this could happen though... *sighs*

William, if you could take off your star-spangled glasses for a short while you might be able to see that everyone over the past 2 days has been recognising the problems exist in all countries. Your over-use of spurious claims regarding land mass and populations etc. attempting to prove things are not so bad in the US are not adding anything to the debate on how these sad statistics can be turned around.

Oscar Wilde, who like myself, did visit your country made the following observation.

"In America the young are always ready to give to those who are older than themselves the full benefits of their inexperience."

You are doing nothing do dispel this belief.

As I've said before, I'm not even patriot usually. I had to do an assignment on that in school and thought it was so stupid. I can really see the point of the assignment now though.

If you read the past 2 or 3 threads, I wasn't the one that started this. People have been baiting me, just look at the last few pages of that breeding thread :roll: "Treat other the way you want to be treated". If you don't want to hear insults about your country then don't insult mine and say that we don't know as much about rabbits or that we don't care about animal welfare as much. If someone states something that's untrue I'm going to say something.

You really think that quote is true for the majority of young people? It's a stereotype. And what about chavs in UK?

http://www.pressbox.co.uk/detailed/...PHERD_DOGS_AFTER_THEIR_OWNER_DIES_360000.html
"Instead of sedating these poor dogs and removing them to a place of safety, prior to contacting German Shepherd Dog rescues which would have been willing to help, the RSPCA chose instead to shoot all 10 dogs with a captive bolt. Their excuse was that this was kinder to the animals and safer for the inspectors. This begs the question – if it was safe enough to get as close as it is necessary for the use of a captive bolt, then why was it not safe enough to get equally near to these dogs and sedate them?" - Wow the RSPCA shoots dogs? Of course they'd never hide the fact they pts rabbits :roll:

I wasn't calling you blind, I was referring to Teflons who kept telling me to open my eyes when she's the one who's blind.

Have I said anything to you in this thread? NO. Then how dare you dirty my name and unwittingly drag me into a thread unbeknownst to me.

You are a trouble maker, singing loud for your country when you havent a clue.

Have I said anything to you in this thread? NO. Then how dare you dirty my name and unwittingly drag me into a thread unbeknownst to me.

You are a trouble maker, singing loud for your country when you havent a clue.

You did on that breeding thread right before it got locked.

No, I haven't said anything in the past 2 years about all the ignorant "facts" people have stated about the US. But it's getting more and more annoying when people state things they have no idea about. I'm not saying the US is perfect or anything but I don't like it when people judge other people/places they have no idea about. Don't bait me if you don't want me to stick up for the US.

You did on that breeding thread right before it got locked.

No, I haven't said anything in the past 2 years about all the ignorant "facts" people have stated about the US. But it's getting more and more annoying when people state things they have no idea about. I'm not saying the US is perfect or anything but I don't like it when people judge other people/places they have no idea about. Don't bait me if you don't want me to stick up for the US.

Dont tell lies or make unsupportable statements then, your the one desperate to compare all the time but you lack knowledge, experience and evidence.

I cant be bothered to listen any more. I know the facts and stories, I dont nee to respond to you.

Adios!

Dont tell lies or make unsupportable statements then, your the one desperate to compare all the time but you lack knowledge, experience and evidence.

I cant be bothered to listen any more. I know the facts and stories, I dont nee to respond to you.

Adios!

Thats my point, that's what people have been doing with the US. Very few of them have evidence, experience or knowledge either. Any more than I do. You all (anyone who's been making such statements) need to understand that. I can just as easily make misinformed statements about the UK.

You said in that other thread that the US hides the fact that they kill so many rabbits. So my point with the german shepherds is that the UK does too (in even more inhumane ways), they just admit to it when they get caught. I agree, both countries do wrong things.

Do not open another thread relating to or mentioning a thread that has already been locked.

I shall infract/time out the next person that does this.

I also suggest that if members cannot get along or continually take offence at one anothers posts they temporarliy or permanently ignore the other member.

Go to 'User CP' and click 'Edit Ignore List' and type in the members name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back