• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The age old weeing on the bed problem

kstevens7

Young Bun
I have two rabbits: a buck, Roger, who is near 12 weeks, and a doe, Riley who is around eight months.
I got Riley spayed about 2 months ago and her toilet habits have been improving dramatically - fewer poos left around the place during playtime and impecable neatness in the cage.
She is still, however, a nightmare when it comes to weeing on the bed. I'm getting very, very stick of washing a double duvet and pillows/pillow cases. Roger and Riley are still living together at the moment (he's becoming a little pest and I'm just waiting on another ordered cage which should be arriving in the next couple of days until I can separate them until I get him neutered) so I'm trying to let her out in my bedroom as much as possible alone so she can have a break from his incessant mounting- they are still getting along well enough, and are still grooming one another, by the way.
We were fine last night, from about 6pm until 3am. I was lying down with her on the bed, she was bunny flopped out, and then inevitably, she wee'd all over the blanket.
I was wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that Roger had sprayed on the bed (at Riley) earlier that day? I thought I was making a break-through with Riley until last night so am feeling somewhat crestfallen. Since then I've replaced the duvet with one that definitely has some rabbit wee on it while the other one washes. Disgusting, I know, but you're rabbit people so I'm sure you'll understand.
She's a lovely girl in all other respects so I just wish we could get this sorted so she could be a proper house bunny - i.e. without the cage.
Does anyone have any ideas?! I've looked all over the internet about answers but most just say 'don't let them on the bed' 'negative reinforcement doesn't work' and 'use a plastic sheet'. That's all well and good but, being a student, my rabbit's play area is my room and they love jumping on the bed (and I couldn't stop them if i wanted to). As for the plastic sheet, I've tried it and they just bite holes into it and the wee gets in through the holes. Plus, I dislike lying on a plastic sheet.
So anything helpful advice would be appreciated! Sorry about the essay. I'm new here and I'm DESPERATE for an answer to this problem.
Thank you!
Katie

Can she get down?

I had terrible problems with Mischa weeing on my bed until my Dad made him a ramp.

Photo0480-vi.jpg

As you can see here I had a tarp on my bed but once he'd had this for a while I took it off. I only put it on when I wasn't in bed, I wouldn't been able to stand it there while I slept!

Now he can get up and down much easier and it's helped. Also you might need to look at it from a behavioural point of view. When I first had M&M in my room they weed on my bed early in the morning cos I was feeding them asa soon as I got up. They started weeing on the bed to wake me up so they could get their pellets. I solved this by always getting up and going out of the room first, doing something and then coming back and feeding them.

Also maybe they could have a bed somewhere other than your bed. If they have to get down to go to the loo they may be lazy and just go where they are.

Thank you so much for your reply!
Mischa is adorable by the way, and your dad is clearly awesome for making you that ramp - very well constructed.
Unfortunately, Riley is huge and very, very capable of jumping on to the bed and much higher. She loves it.
They also have a bed. A small dog bed which is very comfy (although she never sleeps in it and is clearly very spoiled). She used to use it as a toilet before I went home for Christmas, which was disgusting. However, I washed it in the washing machine and since we've come back she hasn't used it for these purposes, and it is more or less ignored.
So that leaves the behavioural reason. I'm fairly sure she used to do it when she was angry with me, but that isn't always the case. Sometimes we're getting along perfectly well. They sleep in the cage at night and I feed them pellets in the morning, hay all day, and greens in the evening. I'm pretty sure they're used to the routine? Ahhh I don't know. She always poos on it as well. I wish I could get into her head to figure out why! It's so frustrating.
Thanks so much for your help though - seems like I'm just going to have to keep hoping and engage in some in-depth bunny psychology.
Katie

Can she get down though? Mischa could get up but getting down he found really scary, he used to be the same with the stairs.

Personally I would try putting her back on the floor every time she jumps up. Maybe even on her bed. Where is her bed out of interest? Mine like to sleep near me so their bed is on the floor next to my bed.

_IGP1175-vi.jpg

M&M also used to wee on their beds, in fact anything soft, but they seem to have grown out of that. N&S still wee on stuff :roll: but fortunately there isn't any soft things in their room.

Hm... She seems to be fine getting down but maybe you're right. I'll put a box next to the bed so its graduated. I don't think that's the problem though. Her bed is close-ish to my bed. I'll try moving it closer and seeing what that does. She seems to prefer sleeping on the hard floor though. Whenever I put a blanket into her cage she pushes it to the side and sleeps on the wood. Strange bun.
Thank you for your help though - She has gotten better so I'm hoping she will simply eventually grow out of it. Perhaps she still has some hormones left in her system as well. Cheers!
x

Yeah mine will often sit on the lino to start with and then during the night once the light is off sit on their bed. They just like to pretend to be 'ard I think :lol:

Anyway I hope you get it sorted. Prettylupin is great with bunny behaviour, as are a couple of other members so hopefully they will see this thread later and put forth some ideas.

Back