• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shutting rabbits in their hutch at night

Alicia

Mama Doe
I have guinea-pigs, and they are let out of their hutches during the day and they can run round the shed floor and they get shut back in their hutch at night. I know rabbits need more exercise than guinea-pigs. I was going to let them out at about 7.30am and shut them back in at 4pm in the winter and a bit later in the Summer. I know rabbits are more active later in the day, so would keeping them in their hutch at night be bad for them? I don't really want to leave them out when I'm not around but I want them to get enough exercise.
I am planning to get this hutch and run: (the 6ft size)
http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/details.php?product=70

As long as it is on concrete, there is no reason why they can be out all the time :)

Reuben and Razzle are in a reinforced 6ft Happy hutch combo on the patio, and have 24 hour access to their run which has hay on the floor (the spend most of their time in there, only coming into the hutch for food and water!)

I don't really have any patio now (Mum decided to build a conservatory on it :lol: ) Would they be ok on grass? I was going to put bricks and things round the outside to stop them digging out.

Last edited:
That is the hutch they have now :)

Would your mum mind if you got a couple of paving slabs for underneath the run? Then it would be fine on the grass, but nothing can dig out or in!

The hutch is a bu ggar to move around with the run, and after a while the grass would get muddy is just what I'm thinking.

Back