• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pellet reduction - odd effect!

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
For the last few days I have slightly reduced his pellet ration in the hope of more hay consumption. Haven't noticed much more hay-eating, but this morning he didn't finish his pellets. :shock: It is very unusual for pellets still to be in the dish in the afternoon. I wonder if this might be becuase he was confined to his hutch all of yestedray as it was raining and circumstances did not permit me to bring him in to the conservatory for exercise?

Are you sure his teeth are alright? His reluctance to eat hay and not eating pellets just rings some alarm bells. I know you've been asked this before but I can't remember the answer :oops:

Both the vets he has seen have looked carefully at his teeth, and pronounced them fine, with no sign at all of anything untoward. I do know that teeth can only be thoroughly examined under GA, but Spenser eats his favourite things so greedily I'm confident in the vets' opinions at the moment. I forgot to put the clip on the pellet bag last night so they might have gone a bit soft.

No, it's OK, he is nomming - just not as greedy for his pellets.:? I've been giving him an alfafa cake in the afternoon, so maybe they are more filling than they look. He noms his greens OK, albeit in his usual selective manner.

did he have stasis recently??? sorry so many poorly buns i forget whos ill and whos not :oops:

if he did itll just be him sorting his tummy, Alvin opts to ration himself pelletswise when he has a gut slowdown.

if he didnt just ignore me :lol:

did he have stasis recently??? sorry so many poorly buns i forget whos ill and whos not :oops:

if he did itll just be him sorting his tummy, Alvin opts to ration himself pelletswise when he has a gut slowdown.

if he didnt just ignore me :lol:

He hasn't had full blown stasis since September, but he was at the vet in November and again last week to have his teeth and tummy checked as he was off his noms enough to cause me concern. :wave:

Back