• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding an old male due to lose of partner to bonded pair

Motsbarn

New Kit
Hi this week we lost our adorable Molly. Molly was bonded with jess for 5 yrs and they were inseparable. I have 2 other bonded pairs and they are live in the same area but fenced off by mesh so sniff one another through the cages.( very large and all have out door runs)
Jess is 7yrs and I am thinking of bonding him to one of my other bonded pairs rather than look to rehome an old female.

The other pair are aged around 3 (male and female) and are quiet laid back and both a little shy. Jess is old extremely small in size compared to the bonded pair and is super friendly and sniffs noses with our other animals when he can.
I have noticed since Molly has gone, he has been sleeping near the bonded pair house. He misses company and because he is so small, quiet because he is elderly I am hoping the bonded pair shouldn't see him as a thread -- and they are used to his smell as there houses are adjoining.

All buns have been neutered and spaded.....
Does anybody have any advice?? try them in a neutral area or jess'? Should I do it in stages, first meeting, second in neutral area over days or if they seem to be ok put them in jess' area and watch, separating if they look unhappy....how long do I need to monitor them before I can leave the to get on and not scared they might hurt my elderly boy and they have excepted each other.

Last edited:
Does anybody have any advice?? Dont assume that what happens between mesh will be the same on neutral territory.

try them in a neutral area or jess'? Never bond rabbits on non neutral territory unless you are prepared to accept injuries. Bonding on totally neutral territory is the only way to go.

Should I do it in stages, first meeting, second in neutral area over days or if they seem to be ok Ensure that you have at least 96 hours free, ideally a week off work and place them in totally neutral territory, ensure that you have no other committments and just keep going. This is far less stressful for yourself and more inmportantly your bunnies.

put them in jess' area and watch,
Neutral territory only, when they are moved from their bonding area again they must go into an area which has been neutralised.

separating if they look unhappy....
What does an unhappy bunny look like? I would suggest pulling apart for a count of 10 if they lock on to each other or they are circling. After a count of 10 release.

how long do I need to monitor them before I can leave the to get on and not scared they might hurt my elderly boy and they have excepted each other.
You need to allow at least 4 clear days and then have a fall back for up to a week to ensure that someone is available to supervise them.

If I do bondings I always start the evening before which gives me another 12 hours to get things moved into the right direction.

Back