• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting a new bun for Bluebelle?

daisylou

Warren Scout
Although Bluebelle and I only lost Bojangles last night and I'm certainly not going to rush out and do anything straight away, I'd like some opinions on getting her another bun.

Bojangles was really easy to read and so when he lost he lost his first gf Mosschops I spent time finding another female ND of the same age. However, they never bonded well and poor Poppy passed to the bridge after 2 months with us. After losing 2 buns in a few months I decided as a house bun Bojangles would have enough attention to be on his own. But his whole self told me otherwise - I knew he was pining for someone. Third time round I got a bun of a different age (she was about 3 years younger than him) and turned out to be a MUCH bigger bun. But they hit it off straight away and had over 5 years together.

Bluebelle will be 6 this year and is very hard to read. She definitely preferred Bojangles to me and so part of me thinks I should definitely get her another bun. As she is on the older side, should I look for one that is closer to her age or maybe getting a young(ish) male will help keep her acting young.

As I said earlier, I knew Bo needed another bun but also know I won't be able to tell from Bluebelle if she needs one.

Sorry for rambling on, I suppose I feel guilty about Bojangles and want to make sure I'm doing everything right for Bluebelle just now.

Thanks

Louise and Bluebelle

I'm so sorry for your loss.

i dont know what to suggest for Bluebelle. A young bun may keep her young but may be too active/frisky/jumpy?? Maybe an older one might be a better match? And i am sure there are older buns in rescues too. Some rescues also do bonding - so bluebelle could go on a holiday to help find her a companion?

I am sure that rabbits are happiest in the company of other rabbits so i def think contacting a rescue is a good start.

Even if you dont feel ready right now, it might be good to get the ball rolling so to speak, so that there's time for homechecks etc.

Best of luck and again, i'm so sorry for yours and Bluebelles loss. xxxx

Back