• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anybody recommend a safe hay rack

i made may own sort of hay box out of wood keeps the hay off the floor, i was also worried about my bun getting her legs caught in a hay rack as she binkys really high!

HPIM2774.jpg

I have one of those little planters (plastic) oblong shape and fill it with hay, only about £1.99 I think last year.

Oh i've seen a few members with the long plastic Ikea plastic bag holders stuffed with hay too :wave: They look like a great idea as the holes are too small for anything but noses. We have one but for plastic bags only! :lol:
They're only a couple of quid and look to be very sturdy and practical.

Hi! My bunny has a plastic bottom cage in my room thats kept open, and his litter box is in one corner and a ceramic bowl for veggies and pellets in another..

i lay a layer of shavings at the bottom of the litter box then a layer of hay, which works well in keeping his feet off the soiled shavings, but eventually he stops eating the hay since it also smells of pee..

my question is... do i add a separate hay rack to the cage so he'll eat more hay? or just scatter more hay completely on the plastic floor?

i worry that adding yet another item in the cage will be too much stuff? he likes to jump back in for meals and naps and might not enjoy another item to avoid jumping into!

TIA!

Last edited:
I have heard of a handful of cases where people have used the green hay racks and had bunnies trap legs in and things. All I can say is these must be very small bunnies as I don't think mine could even get an ear stuck in theirs!

They have one of the green boredom breaker racks in their upstairs and in their shed have a hay roller, which they definately prefer, and I can't see it being dangerous at all.
http://www.discountedpetproducts.net/ROLLIN__THE_HAY_MANGER-UKP67400.html
I got mine for £1 from ebay, but its not a bad price anyway.

Jura at the hay roller by Chocolate Bubbles, on Flickr

I have heard of a handful of cases where people have used the green hay racks and had bunnies trap legs in and things. All I can say is these must be very small bunnies as I don't think mine could even get an ear stuck in theirs!

They have one of the green boredom breaker racks in their upstairs and in their shed have a hay roller, which they definately prefer, and I can't see it being dangerous at all.
http://www.discountedpetproducts.net/ROLLIN__THE_HAY_MANGER-UKP67400.html
I got mine for £1 from ebay, but its not a bad price anyway.

Jura at the hay roller by Chocolate Bubbles, on Flickr

I had one of those, but threw it away after about a day. B&G just knocked it over constantly and then couldnt get hay out of it.

I just have 2 of those hay racks from P@H that attach to the dog crate and the rest in the tray (sometimes) :)

I use the half moon flower baskets the same as battlekat. Sometimes the bunnies will jump up and sit in them but they've never gotten hurt.

Back