• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do you replace your hutches and runs if they are wooden?

My current hutch is 7 years old and still going strong :) I only re-stained it for the first time 2 years ago because I fancied it as a deep mahogony red intead of regular brown :lol:

The run is 5 years old and I have never re-stained it against the weather... it's been dismantled and moved house with us twice, it's also taken a bit of damage during that time and as a result the wood has started to show early signs of rot so TBH I don't see it lasting more than another year or two.

My current hutch is 7 years old and still going strong :) I only re-stained it for the first time 2 years ago because I fancied it as a deep mahogony red intead of regular brown :lol:

The run is 5 years old and I have never re-stained it against the weather... it's been dismantled and moved house with us twice, it's also taken a bit of damage during that time and as a result the wood has started to show early signs of rot so TBH I don't see it lasting more than another year or two.

Oh please do tell- where did you get yours :) Sounds lovely - I fancy staining mine something darker- i don't know what is bunny safe though. Any suggestions on where i can start shopping?

Thankyou x

Oh please do tell- where did you get yours :) Sounds lovely - I fancy staining mine something darker- i don't know what is bunny safe though. Any suggestions on where i can start shopping?

Thankyou x

Cuprinol garden shades and heritage shades paints are all animal safe and come in a range of beautiful colours...I was tempted to paint the buns playhouse a pastle pink but the future in-laws restricted me to grey :lol:

Cuprinol garden shades and heritage shades paints are all animal safe and come in a range of beautiful colours...I was tempted to paint the buns playhouse a pastle pink but the future in-laws restricted me to grey :lol:

So cute! :lol:

I think if a run is made out of good quality sturdy wood then it should last for ages. I find that things such as covering the roof with a sheet of solid plastic, covering the hutch/ run in the winter, raising a hutch of the ground and giving it a lick of paint/ wood stain every year/ every other year help prolong its lifespan :)

My double hutch is about 5 years old and needs replacing and Brambles hutch is just under a year old. i think if you use good quaility wood and treat it, they should last much longer. Brambles hutch i made and the double hutch was bought so not the best. The runs where built from scratch and are doing well. need a coat of paint in the spring. really want to paint them blue for a change.

Oh and protecting all exposed/ gnaw-able wooden area with plastic lipping will help as well as putting lino on the floor :)

The run I've attatched to the side of the shed is one of those P@H orangey coloured ones with a black grill.....had it for two and a half years....needs replacing due to being EATEN!!:lol::lol::lol:
And looking at photos on here I'm not alone. The way I look at that is at least it's keeping their teeth in trim. (And they also have fresh apple twigs off the tree they love to strip).
So, am looking to upgrade too.:thumb:

We have a couple of old, small, hand made hutches that came with rabbits that are still in good nick ( they are unused but may become shelters in runs later on. We are having to scrap some P@H hutches bought only about 4 years ago because they are falling to pieces.

My oldest hutch is 9yrs old and is still going strong it just has a few nibble marks on the outside of the main door due to milly liking to nibble them

Cheers for that info too, 'cos I've only used P@H hutch stain and it's not my fave colour!:D

Ohhh I've used that one before...its an ugly colour if put on over the natural colour of the wood or over a colour that is light...and boy does it stink!

Cuprinol garden/ heritage paints are fab :)

Thanks where do i get this from? My hutches are being eaten too :) x

I got mine from B&Q...they do different sorts :)...I think I paid £1.78 for an 8ft length so its really cheap.

I have used it along all the exposed studwork wood in the playhouse and around the run access hole...without it the studwork wouldn't exist by now and the hole would be double the size it is now :lol:.

DSC04689.jpg

and always used it inside runs and hutches :)

DSC02590.jpg

Back