• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stopped eating but very playful

cinnamon

New Kit
We have had our Dwarf lop rabbit since she was born 7 months ago, however recently her behaviour has changed drastically.

She always used to eat all of her pellet (mixed with some of those coloured flakes), and whenever we tried to spend some time with her, she would always run away. We keep her outside in a hutch with a run attached, but bring her inside in the evenings until she starts scratching at the door(or pooing in the corner).

Then suddenly, almost over night things changed.

She stopped eating her pellets, pooing is minimal, and most strangely, she has become hyper active. When inside she is darting around constantly, thumping her feet as she goes, and its not because she is scared, because she'll run round us some times, then dart off to the hall way (and then back to us again). When outside, she is always dying to come inside, and once in, its difficult to get her out again.

I know rabbits not eating can be very serious, so I got her some fresh grass and which she is eating, followed by plenty of fresh poo. I guess we are wondering why her dietry choices have changed so drastically, and if its related to her new behaviour.

Have you had her checked over by a Vet?

Does she have plenty of hay to eat ? Dental problems are a possibility

Is she spayed? If not her behaviour change may be hormone driven.

It isn't a good idea to bring outdoor Rabbits into a warm house only to put them back outside again as they cannot cope with drastic changes in temperature.

I would definitely have her checked by a good vet, especially her teeth. Does she have hay/veg in her diet?

We haven't taken her to a Vet yet but will in the next few days, if anything, to get her spayed.

The other thing is she never used to eat hay. We've tried a few different types, and she's still not touched any of it, but since her recent change, I do catch her with a long piece of hay sticking out of her mouth occassionally, but she's not eating enough for us to notice

We rarely give her Veg purely because we got her when she was a baby and were advised against it. Never really broke that habit as she got older.
Once a week she gets a few carrot tops, a small piece of pepper and dandelion leaves, but other things we tried she either wont touch, or gives her the runs. What do you recommend we give her?

While writing this, she has been running around me, hopped into the garden and back into the house a few times, done 3 poo's (inside annoyingly), and just sprayed wee on the carpet and started rolling in it which is new.

I have no direct experience of girl bunnies, but she does sound very hormonal. Some bunnies (like my boy!) are a bit reluctant to eat hay, but in most cases it is worth persevering as hay is so important for the long-term welfare of the rabbit. I buy sample bags from Animal Magic Pet Supplies. Buns who are not keen on hay usually eat plenty pellets - sometimes too many - so I would definitely be concerned that your bun isn't getting enough food at the moment. For veg, spring greens tend to be popular, but if you introduce anything new do it very gradually in case it upsets her. To be honest, I would try to get her a vet appointment as soon as possible to get a professional opinion.

We've never questioned her gender. I just accepted what the owner told us. She, who I think I'll refer to as it for now, did charge at me while I tried cleaning its hutch. Is there any other behaviour that is typical of males. I want to check now, but she is not very easy to get hold of at the moment.

The circling and spraying definitely sounds like unneutered male behaviour *glances at Oscar* Does she/he make a quiet honking noise too? Maybe get them checked over at the vet to confirm sex...

It has started making noises recently yes. I was surprised because everywhere said rabbit don't make any noises unless really scared.
Do females not make noises when they are... coming of age?

It has started making noises recently yes. I was surprised because everywhere said rabbit don't make any noises unless really scared.
Do females not make noises when they are... coming of age?

I don't know if females do, but I know from personal experience males do!! It's like their mating dance I think... Maybe someone else knows if females do...?

In my experience...Unspayed females can sometimes make a sort of grunting sound and if she is a bit hormonal they can.. as you put it "charge" at you as a way of protecting thier teritory..
That said.. males can also make a nosie but it is a softer sort of "gentle honk" and usually happens when they are excited!!
Probably need to determine whether definatley a girl!!

Ok, so following the advice on here, we began to question whether or not 'it' actually is even a doe, given the amount of spray and noises etc....So following some basic internet instruction we turned 'it' over to try and determine sex. We never even got as far as opening slits and the like, but did notice 2 large pink fleshy bits either side of her anus, joining above it, a bit like a horse shoe. I can only take these to be descended testicles...I know this is a stupid question, but is that the right conclusion, or is this part of all rabbit anatomy?

We don't quite know what to do now. What we thought was previously a girl, is now a boy. Going to have to repaint his room blue now or something.

He is also starting to eat again (quite randomly), so thanks for all of your help

I would pop him to the Vet's to arrange his neutering. He will be a lot less frustrated once his plums have been defused :D

Back