• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wheel chair bunny!!!!

:cry:

Poor thing.

yes, it gives her mobility, but shes dragging her legs on the ground and that's going to cause sores and rip her claws off :cry:

:cry:

Poor thing.

yes, it gives her mobility, but shes dragging her legs on the ground and that's going to cause sores and rip her claws off :cry:

Agreed. It would be fine if she has foot rests or boots for protection :(

I'll be absolutely demolished for this...

Look at her quality of life? It's attrocious.

She can't move on her own, she drags her body around using her little front paws. She's obviously incontinent (she's wearing a nappy?! :shock:) and has very urine covered back legs.

She has a really badly runny eye, which could be dental.

Sorry to put such a downer on your post Zahirre.

I feel like crying looking at her :cry:

I can remember seeing this on television. That woman really loves her bun and refused to give up on him/her. She washes his bottom each day, and they created the wheelchair as he is beginning to get movement back in his legs (which the vet said was impossible) and the wheelchair is helping to improve this further. I agree with the points others have made, but she loves her bun and is doing what she believes is best :( rightly or wrongly.

She can't move on her own, she drags her body around using her little front paws. She's obviously incontinent (she's wearing a nappy?! :shock:) and has very urine covered back legs.

Tbh I agree with this to a certain degree. The bunny looked very sore and was only bedded on newspaper from what I remember. I was also upset at the way her feet dragged on the ground and if it were my bunny would do everything I could to protect its feet.

The only thing positive for me was that the bunny was getting some movement back in her legs so hopefully she may have improved since the filming.

Much as I love my special needs bunnies if how she was in the film was her quality of life forever then if she were mine I would have to seriously think if i was doing the right thing. But if there was achance she would regain some use of her legs in the future I would definitely persevere with a few modifications in her care.

Tbh I agree with this to a certain degree. The bunny looked very sore and was only bedded on newspaper from what I remember. I was also upset at the way her feet dragged on the ground and if it were my bunny would do everything I could to protect its feet.

The only thing positive for me was that the bunny was getting some movement back in her legs so hopefully she may have improved since the filming.

Much as I love my special needs bunnies if how she was in the film was her quality of life forever then if she were mine I would have to seriously think if i was doing the right thing. But if there was achance she would regain some use of her legs in the future I would definitely persevere with a few modifications in her care.

I appreciate that Liz, i really do. If she was getting movement back in her legs, then excellent, i really hope it happened and she can hop with a degree of normality, but as you say, if she stayed as she was in that video, i would think seriously about PTS, as however much you love somebun, that ultimate sacrifice may have been the best thing.

I hope, in all honesty that things got better for her.

I agree that if her feet were suported it would be better for the bun.
I think they need to rethink the 'wheel chair' as it could be done better.

I am glad shes starting to get her feeling back in her legs and i hope she continues to improve, aslong as she isnt in pain.

I agree with you Graham.

I had a bun here that ended up paralyzed and needing his bladder expressed.

I couldn't let him suffer any longer after hearing he would never walk again :cry::cry::cry:

I think I got all caught up in the excitment that this lady was really trying to help her bun.
But, I think you're right. I didn't really understand the nappy but after what you've stated, I realised.
You're right Graham and I have to say I agree with you.
I feel awful for liking the video in the first place. I think it was more the obvious love and compassion that this lady had for her bun rather than the actual wheelchair. The movement is so different to that of the natural way buns move.
:( I hope she did get better though...

:? I think it's rather odd, the music when they put the poor little mite in the wheels was comedy type music and they were giggling, I think it seemed a bit ridiculous, I didn't like the way she held and handled the bunny either personally considering the condition you would make every effort to support the hind quarters and keep the spine aligned correctly. I also noticed the cat in the background watching the poor thing on wheels no wonder it was trying to run! Yes it's odd, there's something about that is very uncomfortable - the rabbit was struck down by a mystery illness? Then the nappy thing at the beginning and the giggling.:censored:

Last edited:
Actually looking at that rabbit I am glad they are trying and she probably will get the use of her legs back.

She looks so bright, and moves at such a pace. She is clearly enjoying herself.

I'd love to talk to the woman and give some tips on how to care for her. I have no doubt I could get that rabbit hopping again. She is right it would be worng to put her to sleep.

I got the impression they filmed that as soon as they got he cart. They seemed unsure how to strap it on at first. If it was injuring her feet I'm sure they would have adjusted it.

I am a great beleiver in letting the animal choose whether to go on, and that rabbit's face said she wants to live and not only that she wants to move. and I think she will.

Of course I would never wash her like that, I would shave her instead.

I took in a rabbit last year that I was going to get a cart for, Henry, but I managed to get him hopping again instead. He was totally paralysed when he came to me, hardly even twitching his back feet, as bad as the rabbit in the video. I used steroids, panacur and antibiotics to cover all bases and did physio on him every day to build up his muscles. He still wobbles but he can jump onto the shelf in his hutch now.

I think that is so cruel. it must hurt the bunny's feet and surely being a prey animal she must be terrified. I'm in tears thinking about that poor bunny

Back