• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Castration Not worked??

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I am guessing it is possible for a castration not to have been carried out properly leaving the bunny very hormonal :?

Does anyone know if there is any sort of test to determine hormone levels?

He was castrated 3 months ago ( not by my vet) and yet 5 days into bonding he is still humping like mad and smells like an uncastrated male :?

I would think if the "balls" have gone the hormones would?

At the RWA there was a talk on adrenal disease which the vet thought could cause hyper sexuality but it was very early on without much evidence or treatment :?

I would think if the "balls" have gone the hormones would?

At the RWA there was a talk on adrenal disease which the vet thought could cause hyper sexuality but it was very early on without much evidence or treatment :?

I checked for balls and everything seems to be gone.

Maybe it could be related to his liver cancer :? Seeing the vet Tuesday so will ask.

Its such a shame as he loves the company and they are both washing each other, but it is so persistent they can only have a few hours supervised time together :(

I dont know about horses but I know with horses that sometimes they leave a small amount of testicular tissue by accident and the horse can retain some of its stallion characteristics and hormones, including a small chance of impregnating mares. I cant remember what its called but there is one at the yard where my sister keeps her pony.

I've got a couple of castrated males who remain humpy and still spray urine despite being done years ago. Both were castrated late...not sure if that makes a difference?

Hi Liz,
I've asked about this for Poppy years ago and although they can do a hormone blood test for girls, it is not a clear indicator as no one has as yet isolated the requisite hormones specifically for rabbits. There is a protocol but apparently the results are vague. I would assume for males it is the same scenario but not necessarily?

It can take a while for hormones to settle but i'm sure you know that already, it is also possible just to have a very strong instinctual/behavioural drive where buck, despite castration, feels he is very much a young batchelor male in many respects.

I've got a couple of castrated males who remain humpy and still spray urine despite being done years ago. Both were castrated late...not sure if that makes a difference?

Long enough for the hormonally driven behaviours to become very ingrained and possibly set up a learned response so they become purely behavioural in the absence of hormones I suspect. :?

Hi Liz,
I've asked about this for Poppy years ago and although they can do a hormone blood test for girls, it is not a clear indicator as no one has as yet isolated the requisite hormones specifically for rabbits. There is a protocol but apparently the results are vague. I would assume for males it is the same scenario but not necessarily?

It can take a while for hormones to settle but i'm sure you know that already, it is also possible just to have a very strong instinctual/behavioural drive where buck, despite castration, feels he is very much a young batchelor male in many respects.

Thanks.

It wasn't just his behaviour but the smell that got me thinking. I have had a few rampant males despite castration but never remember the smell :? To make it worse uncastrated Toby smells it and he starts stinking and I end up with all the windows open :lol: Thank goodness Sinbad isn't inside too!

Long enough for the hormonally driven behaviours to become very ingrained and possibly set up a learned response so they become purely behavioural in the absence of hormones I suspect. :?

this is what the vet warned me of with my bun (neutered around 2/3 years old recently) he said some behaviour becomes habitual. He still circles my feet grunting and still is defensive over food but in all other respects has calmed down.

It wasn't just his behaviour but the smell that got me thinking. I have had a few rampant males despite castration but never remember the smell :? To make it worse uncastrated Toby smells it and he starts stinking and I end up with all the windows open :lol: Thank goodness Sinbad isn't inside too!

Possible UTI?

The only time my neutered buns have smelled is if they had a UTI. One of my girls arrived here with a UTI which cleared up with antibiotics...but her spay op. (about 8 months later) seemed to start up the infection again. Not sure if this is likely with males though :?

Possible UTI?

The only time my neutered buns have smelled is if they had a UTI. One of my girls arrived here with a UTI which cleared up with antibiotics...but her spay op. (about 8 months later) seemed to start up the infection again. Not sure if this is likely with males though :?

Did they smell all the time or just when humping? He is fine when alone in his cage or free ranging on his own. It is just when he has company and gets excited :?

Do you know if both testicles were descended, many male animals ( very common in dogs and horses) can retain a testicle which can leads to entire behaviour, there is also a risk of the tesicles retained becoming cancerous. There will be a blood test to check for hormone levels, the problem may be there is no check for male rabbit levels.

Thanks. I have no info on the castration as it wasn't done here but was never told there was a problem.

Hopefully the vet can shed some light when he goes for his dental check Tuesday :)

Back