• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why small cages?!

tiger_lily

Mama Doe
Why do people keep rabbits in such small cages? Just browsing through preloved and there is this poor rabbit in a cage which is as wide as the rabbit is long :(

So close too, tempted to try and convince the OH to let me have her just so she can have some space to stretch her poor little legs...

Last edited:
:(:(

Thats why i try and avoid free ad's :(

I would want to help them all and burn their small hutches :evil:
But i have no room :(

I wasn't even looking for a rabbit, I was looking for an pen and she appeared. I have the space, but the OH won't let me because our landlady is a bit funny about pets. Maybe I could just sneak her in...

No doubt someone will see her and buy her, just to keep her in that cage all her life. She's only 6 months :(

Any ideas how I can convince the OH (assuming the owner gets back to me saying we can have her?)

His argument is that our landlady was funny about us getting pets for ages, and eventually agreed to 'a small animal in a cage' so we got Oscar, and doesn't want to get a second rabbit in case we get them taken away. I don't think she would though... So confusing!

Surely if they bond - 2 'animals in cage' is the same as 1! same cage etc.

The intention would be to bond them, but because neither of them are neutered yet, it would have to be after they've both been done. So, for at least a short time, they would be kept apart.

The intention would be to bond them, but because neither of them are neutered yet, it would have to be after they've both been done. So, for at least a short time, they would be kept apart.

Is she old enough to be spayed? If not, how long would you have to wait? (your buns not neutered, so they could NOT go together)

Could yuo keep them seperate for ~2 months? (6-8 weeks post neuter).

What would yuo do if they didnt bond? Can you keep two seperate single bunnies ?

Can you afford vet bills for both? Is your accomodation suitable for two?

How do you know she doesn't have any illnesses already?

Sorry to be putting a downer on you, but use your brain, as well as your heart.

This is why preloved sucks.

Is she old enough to be spayed? If not, how long would you have to wait? (your buns not neutered, so they could NOT go together)

Could yuo keep them seperate for ~2 months? (6-8 weeks post neuter).

What would yuo do if they didnt bond? Can you keep two seperate single bunnies ?

Can you afford vet bills for both? Is your accomodation suitable for two?

How do you know she doesn't have any illnesses already?

Sorry to be putting a downer on you, but use your brain, as well as your heart.

This is why preloved sucks.

Thanks, I know I need to think about it, it's so hard though when you see such a poor rabbit...

She is 6 months and Oscar is 4 months so I can get them both neutered soon, and I do have the space to keep them separate, at least for a while, if she is upstairs and Oscar is downstairs.

I'm not sure what would happen if the two didn't bond, I should be able to carry on with one upstairs and one downstairs hopefully. If they were bonded they would have plenty of room, as Oscar free ranges pretty much all the time now, with a cage as his base. I guess I could just use this for both of them?

Vet bills, I'm saving a lot of money now not having a car, so I can use that for vet bills. I guess I have to take her word that she doesn't have any illnesses, but as soon as I got her I would have her checked over at the vets.

Them not getting on well when I try to bond them, and any illnesses are the things I am most worried about though...

I am the same, I have learnt my lesson.

Obviously, you are thinking things through, but I think I would be checking it out with the landlord, before doing anything. There are so many pets out there who have to be given up because they are given a home, only for a landlord to say "no, get rid or find a new house".

It would be a shame that both buns would have to go, or worse still that they would have to be split after bonding.

Back