• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Buns

I'm guessing babies?

Sorry no experience in that area but I'm sure someone will be along soon.

Yes sorry as I said I'm still in shock and can't think straight. Although I had a feeling she could be pregnant I wasn't sure.

Sorry should have also said she is the one I took on on Tuesday after her previous owner decided that she wanted rid as she had a new bun and Lola wasn't getting on with her when she was put in the hutch with Lola and Lolas husban.

wow...its a massive shock when these things happen....just check how many there are and make sure there are no dead ones...if there are any dead ones remove them straight away...then cover them back up with mums fur and she will take care of the rest.
good luck :)

Thank you KK kayla I didn't know what to do for the best because she obviously doesn't know me very well yet I was scared of transferring my scent to the nest. Thanks again.

i would say put a sock or glove on and rub it in her urine and poop so you have mums scent and make sure shes eating somthing when you check on them...because they can get very protective.
if you dont want to use a glove or sock you can use your hand but make sure it smells like the rabbit before touching them....if she wont let you touch them....take her out the cage for 2 minutes whilst you have a look.
hope i helped

Great idea thank you very much for the reply. I'm just cutting some veg for her so I will give it a try when I take it to her. :)

my rabbit currently has 4 and a half week babies....( not on purpose)
so i kinda learnt as it happened...but thats the things i done and my rabbits didnt reject her litter or anything after i touched them...she did sniff them if i took he out the cage. ( i had to take her out most the time because she would jump at me.)
but when they get to about 2 weeks she will get more comfortable with you there.

most rabbits are fine with you looking at there babies if they know your scent and trust you but if you have only had it a little while then they can be slightly more nervous, thats when they may kill the babies or throw them out the nest as they feel threatened but as said above if you smell of the mum you will be fine, your best to use your hands and stroke mum or rub hands in nest fur :)

Rolled my hand over her poo (lovely) she let me stroke her and I managed to replace the top layer of paper with a clean one which I had wiped around the crate. I had a peek they are :love: 4 pinkie and 1 black.

I have let her have time away from them and she is being a very good mum and checking on them regularly.

Lots of good advice already given! The only thing I would add is that don't worry if you dont see Mum feeding them, as she will probably do this at dawn or dusk - they usually only feed twice a day. I am fostering a mum and kits who are 5 weeks old now and it was only last night that I first saw her feeding them!

also i would be careful taking her away so soon, even at 5 weeks old my doe used to panic when she was in run away from her babies :)

also i would be careful taking her away so soon, even at 5 weeks old my doe used to panic when she was in run away from her babies :)

Don't worry I don't take her away she is in a crate in my daughters bedroom, I just enlarge the area around it for her to be able to explore a bit further as we restrict the area when we go out as we have other house rabbits and 2 cats. :)

Back