• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor/Outdoor - is half n half possible??

Bitzy

Mama Doe
:wave:

As some of you may remember I've brought Dizzi and Rascal in for the winter, they currently have the run of the spare single bedroom, the landing and occasionally the spare double bedroom.

Photo1495.jpg

Outside they have a 15ft x 6ft aviary and double decker hutch.

Photo1216.jpg

Problem is that I'm absolutely loving having them indoors and am already dreading the spring/summertime when they go back out.

However, I also know that they love being outdoors when the weather's good. And also OH spent most of last summer building their aviary for them so I'd feel awful for it not to get used.

So basically I'm wondering if them spending their days in the aviary and their nights indoors would be a good compromise? Does anyone else do this? I'm hoping that in Spring/Summer there won't be any extremes in temperature so they'll be ok in that respect?!?!

Any advice??

Last edited:
Keep Dizzie and Rascal indoors and get two more buns for the aviary :D :lol:

I can't see a problem with them going out on nice days and coming inside in the evenings - but then I don't know what the temperature fluctuations are like in the UK.

I imagine if anything there would be less of a temperature change coming inside than there would be staying outside.

Or as pigsforlife said, get more rabbits! Best of both worlds :D

I can't see a problem with them going out on nice days and coming inside in the evenings - but then I don't know what the temperature fluctuations are like in the UK.

I do this in summer. We set up the pen outside on the grass once it starts getting warm, leave it up and bring the buns out in the morning and bring them in once it starts getting dark. This year I'm thinking of rotating it so in the morning one pair are out and in the afternoon the other pair so they can have both runs put together and have less time there but more space.

I do this in summer. We set up the pen outside on the grass once it starts getting warm, leave it up and bring the buns out in the morning and bring them in once it starts getting dark. This year I'm thinking of rotating it so in the morning one pair are out and in the afternoon the other pair so they can have both runs put together and have less time there but more space.

Just remember to put the run in different areas of the garden so they don't get territorial :wave:

Just remember to put the run in different areas of the garden so they don't get territorial :wave:

Actually they don't seem to outside, it's very odd. If they do though I'll probably go back to two runs and have them out all day. Once those types of runs are up I find it easier to leave them up :oops:

During the summer it should be fine, I did this when I first got Biscuit so she wasn't on her own outside at night. Or yes get an outside pair and keep your existing pair inside ;)

Actually they don't seem to outside, it's very odd. If they do though I'll probably go back to two runs and have them out all day. Once those types of runs are up I find it easier to leave them up :oops:

What runs do you have Schuette, as i want B&G to experience outdoors more this year :wave:

I agree. Get more bunnies. Perfect solution! :D

Hahahah I like your thinking ....... however, persuading the OH that this is a good idea may be a tad difficult!

Firstly he said he didn't want any pets at all but then I fostered a bun for a couple of months and once he realised how much I loved her .................he agreed we could get one!!

Obviously couldn't get just one .........so he agreed we could have two .....so Dizzi and Rascal moved in, to a hutch and run he'd built for them!!

Then I decided that I wanted a proper aviary instead of the hutch/run combo as I couldn't sit in the run with them properly, it only had a mesh'd roof which meant I got soaked and it was difficult to clean out..........so he built me the aviary with a proper roof and a seat in n everything!!

Then I decided I wanted them to come indoors for the winter as it was too cold and they're still only babies ......... so they came indoors!

I'm thinking I've probably run out of favours for the time being! :? :) :roll:

Im sure sometime out in the garden during the day when the weather isnt to bad would be fine :wave: and then coming back indoors of a night :love:

Lucky bunnies get the best of both worlds :lol: :love:

What runs do you have Schuette, as i want B&G to experience outdoors more this year :wave:

These ones...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Very-Large-...7W/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1295005032&sr=8-22

They dismantle into panels and go quite small so don't need too much storage. I have two and can put them together in a huge 8 shape but on their own they are still quite big. They were really useful when bonding cos I could make pens of 4, 5, 6 panels.

_IGP7952-vi.jpg

ETA. I normally put the covers on but I left them off that day to begin with for photo taking and then put them on later.

Ah :)

I have one of those, Ginger lived in it for the first 2 weeks she was here, 4ft x 2ft.

Yours look bigger thugh so perhaps mine are a tad smaller.

I've got 3 'pens' i can use in the garden so that'll be nice :)

Can't wait, they loved it outside.

They do do a smaller one as well. I originally got it intending on making the enclosure from it but found they don't go in straight lines (although they would with cable ties) as they would've fitted in the gap perfectly. :oops:

They do do a smaller one as well. I originally got it intending on making the enclosure from it but found they don't go in straight lines (although they would with cable ties) as they would've fitted in the gap perfectly. :oops:

Mine go in straight lines :?

Wow really. Haha. Maybe I did it wrong them

I have the exact same run, they definately do not go in straight lines unless of course you use cable ties.

I have two similar ones from p@h tho which are smaller and do go in straight lines.

I did this with Thumper in mild weather when he was young & we were training each other. :lol:
As said before we just have to be aware of temp differences, & check that the buns will actually take shelter in rain.
He loved it.

Back