• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

opinions please :-)

Nope. It's a chicken coop. It's too small. Some people do have them for rabbits, but they are just not designed for a rabbits needs.

Its 6.4ft long x 2.5ft wide which in a hutch would be excellent, but you lose so much space with the ramp, the 'nest' part etc.

Recommended is 6x2x2 + 6x4 (i think, although i believe that may have changed to slgihtly larger quite recently).

I know some people have said they're hard to clean out as well. They don't really have enough overall space or sheltered space. A shed and aviary will work out better overall. More expensive to begin with but it'll last.

Best Idea for starting out i think is a nice playhouse 4ftx4ft upwards+ a 6x4 run minimum. Or you can go for a shed option with an aviary or even a dog kennel. All these things get more and more expensive as you increase space, but it's definately worth it for the buns.

yes thats sounds good, its just a base really as they have free run of the garden when im home,thanks for ur ideas :)

Ive got something similar and I like mine

some people have said they're hard to clean out

I find it easier than my 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch to clean out

They have more sheltered space than my other hutch also because the only sheltered space is the sleeping area which is 2ft x 2ft, the sheltered space on the chicken coop type hutch is a lot bigger than that on mine hes even got a cat igloo in there with still plenty room. He uses the actual nest box which sticks out at the back for his toilet area with 2 corner litter trays in. I also cant see how the ramp actually takes up any room, anyway just my thoughts. I do agree that it would need an attached run for more space and am planning on getting one.

Ive got something similar and I like mine

I find it easier than my 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch to clean out

They have more sheltered space than my other hutch also because the only sheltered space is the sleeping area which is 2ft x 2ft, the sheltered space on the chicken coop type hutch is a lot bigger than that on mine hes even got a cat igloo in there with still plenty room. He uses the actual nest box which sticks out at the back for his toilet area with 2 corner litter trays in. I also cant see how the ramp actually takes up any room, anyway just my thoughts. I do agree that it would need an attached run for more space and am planning on getting one.

2x2 doesn't sounds very much :? The guidelines are 6x2x2 for a sheltered space and then 6x4 (or now seemingly 8x4) for a run area.

Im thinking of buying this for my two bunnies,do you think its suitable and large enough etc?? :wave:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HENHURST-CHIC...t=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item3cb37e416c

It is recommended that a pair of small / medium sized rabbits have at least 36 square feet of space. One idea for this is a 6 x 2 x 2 hutch with an attatched 6 x 4 x 2 run. This gives an area with 2 protected sides which gives 12 square feet with an additional 24 square feet of run. Total area 36 square feet.
In metric this is 10800 square cm for the top hutch with a total of 21600 square cm for the run. Total area 32400 square cms.

In reality is doesnt matter how they get this space as long as they have a good sized protected are.

The coop you are linking to has a base area which is 180cm x Width 75.5cm x Height 104cm with the nest box removed. This gives a total of 13590 square cms plus the nest box which is 50 cm x 60 cms, which gives a total of 3000 square cms, making a total of 16590 square cms.

When you compare the hutch with attatched run which has an overall size of 32400 square cms and the coop which is 16590 square cms you can see value for space and money is very poor in the coop when compared to the hutch and run. It also gives approximately only half the space of the other which is inadequate for a pair of rabbits.

The coop you are linking to has a base area which is 180cm x Width 75.5cm x Height 104cm with the nest box removed. This gives a total of 13590 square cms plus the nest box which is 50 cm x 60 cms, which gives a total of 3000 square cms, making a total of 16590 square cms.

I'm not sure this is right tbh... Surely this is just the measurements of the bottom area, and not including the indoor top level?

I'm not sure this is right tbh... Surely this is just the measurements of the bottom area, and not including the indoor top level?

I have just recalculated as I can see that I have written the wrong size of the bed area. Even with this correction you can see that they offer very poor value for size and money.

I have interpreted this from
196cm x Width 75.5cm x Height 104cm .
which includes the nest box.

I have taken off 16 cms which is probably for the nest box as the nest box offers nothing to the lower level run area. Therefore 180 x 75.5 cm = 13590 square cms is the area of the base of the run.

The bed area is 75.5 cm wide which is the same as the base. If you look at the photo it is approximately 1/3 of the length of the main run, therefore it would be reasonable to assume that this is 60 cm. 60 cm x 75.5 cms = 4530 square cms.

Therfore the total area of the bed area plus the run with this corrected figure is still only 18120 square cms.

When compared to a 6 x 2 foot hutch over a 6 x 4 run this still is very small.

i have a chicken coop and its alot easier to clean out....its like a massive playhouse with stairs that go into the upstairs....and its gives the rabbits alot of space.

I have just recalculated as I can see that I have written the wrong size of the bed area. Even with this correction you can see that they offer very poor value for size and money.

I have interpreted this from which includes the nest box.

I have taken off 16 cms which is probably for the nest box as the nest box offers nothing to the lower level run area. Therefore 180 x 75.5 cm = 13590 square cms is the area of the base of the run.

The bed area is 75.5 cm wide which is the same as the base. If you look at the photo it is approximately 1/3 of the length of the main run, therefore it would be reasonable to assume that this is 60 cm. 60 cm x 75.5 cms = 4530 square cms.

Therfore the total area of the bed area plus the run with this corrected figure is still only 18120 square cms.

When compared to a 6 x 2 foot hutch over a 6 x 4 run this still is very small.

I have confused myself trying to add it up so I am giving up now!

I have something very similar, but one made for rabbits which just meant it cost a lot more lol. Sizings are very similar though.
Through the winter I felt that they didn't have enough shelter so I have added a small hutch inside, underneath the indoor area. Then to make up for loss of run I have added a small run to the front which they have access to in the day time, I will be replacing this with a larger more secure run in the spring which they will have 24/7 access to, and then ready for next winter I will be converting all of the bottom section into a sheltered area.

To summarize (lol) my opinion is that you will regret getting it when winter comes, unless you are prepared to make some alterations! At least with my one made for rabbits I was able to buy perfectly fitting weather covers, not sure you could get those for a chicken coop.

If you lino the hutch with some offcuts from a store. It is so easy to clean a 6x2x2 hutch. It will take 10-15 minutes max per day. If runs are attached they can just be swept out daily if on concrete or have a litter tray in if on grass.

ive seen a 7ft coop hutch on ebay

:wave:
Hi, this is my first visit so I hope ive done it correctly:oops:

Im about to get 2 beautiful bunnies from a rescue centre, Im so pleased they
put me in touch with rabbits united as there is such a lot of fantastic information and advice. Ive been searching for a home for the bunnies and have seen the coop hutch types. Ive seen one that is 8ft long by 3ft, with a 7ft run underneath the 3ft by 4ft living area including the nesting box, this adds up to 33ft square in total, which is not far off the 36ft which was mentioned to be the requested size, it has an apex roof so looks a little different and will cost more but would give a bigger area for the bunnies. I dont know how to do a link but if you google 8ft coop hutch ebay it will come up at the top, the seller goes under comfy pets (i think)
Im also looking at converting a playhouse but am un sure which to go for, obviously the coop hutch would be the easiest as all i need to do is put it up, where as the playhouse would need a bit of work and i would have to get a run to attach! Cant make my mind up but i need to as the bunnies need to come to there new home in the next 2 weeks:) I like the idea of the playhouse so i can go in and spend time with them when the weather is not nice.
Hope this has worked and i havnt deleted it like i did last time i tried;)
I hope this information has been useful and not too late for you to make your choice.

I would go for the playhouse and attach a run. I think you would be happier with this arrangement and so would the buns. My arrangements are not perfect and I think it plays on your mind if things are not as you would like. If I could start from scratch with what I know now I would do things differently. Unfortunately due to space and money constraints I am trying to do my best by making modifications to what I have. Go for the playhouse!

Back