• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis and tummy rubs

Hi,
my bunny is being treated for a Urinary tract infection, anyways she has been going on and off her food and today I just had a feeling like Stasis was going to rear its ugly head. At 9ish pm sure enough... she looked in agony, lying flat and flopping into her bedding so I rang the emergency vet, she was in through the doors at 10.40pm and we have just got home. The verdict was Stasis and quite bad, she also has a temperature again. She has had pain killer and some meds to get her tummy going again. I will give her a 10 minute rub (if she lets me, the vet showed me how to do this) and then time for us all to go to bed if possible. I will give her another rub tomorrow morning,

I was just wandering how long I should do this for and how often, I can hear her tummy starting to growl slightly. She is starting to look more relaxed and grooming now.

She has never had this at this extent before, so what is the best way to look after a bunny in stasis? I'm sorry if I am repeating what has already been asked but I am soooo worried again. I am back in the vets tomorrow at 2.30pm.

Thanks again

Natalie

Offer her lots of different foods. When Smudge is in stasis I put out loads of stuff - readigrass, different types of hay, fresh greens - all sorts. I try not to put out pellets and treats because of his partner, Nutmeg, who will eat them all but if she's a single bunny then you could put a few of these out too.

When a bunny is in statis the most improtant things are:

Hydration and getting ANY food in to them.
Obviously hay or something with high fibre content would be better but the most important thing is to just get her eating so if she wants only veg then give it to her, you need to get her tummy moving properly again and fast!!
Soak the greens in water so it ups her water intake as if she gets dehydrated it could make things 100 times worse!
If it were me I would be up with her all night but I understand this is not always possible but definatly set an alarm to check she has not deteriorated through the night and try enticing her with more food and water in a few hours time.
If you find she is not drinking on her own you can try some cooled boiled herbal tea, such as peppermint or nettle.
If you do go to bed leave her with a food buffet, put out a selection of things as Schuette mentions- lots of different hay, pellets, a few treats, veg and herbs and hopefully she will eat some of it!
Also keep a closer eye on her poops, make sure it is still coming out!
Fingers crossed she perks up soon!

Sorry to hear your bunny is poorly.

It sounds as though she has some gas in her tummy- she will need warmth, fluids, and pain relief (which she has had). A dropper or two of infacol may help her to pass the gas- you can get this from the supermarket.

Bunnies with abdominal pain usually crave fibre so it is a good idea to offer a selection of hays, coarse grass, leaves and herbs if you can. I would check her every couple of hours at least in case she deteriorates.

I hope she feels better soon xx

Be careful tummy rubbing a bun with a sore bladder and urinary tract as it will be inflammed and tender over her lower abdomen. Tummy rubs are good for gas but try and keep your hands high up just under her ribcage and avoid the pelvic area for now.

Hope she feels better soon x

I was back at the vet this afternoon and it was suggested that I carefully syringe feed her as she isn't really eating by herself at all at the minute. I have managed to get some food into her and she seems slightly perkier as a result. She has started to take water by herself again and is not flopping out. She has been weeing but I have seen no evidence of any poos yet. I massaged her tummy for about 15 minutes and it started making noises but then she ran off.

She is only eating dandelions (these are at her own will) at the moment and unfortunately she has almost had them all now and I have no more growing :(

I am taking her back into the vet’s tomorrow morning at 8.30am to ask for more painkillers and perhaps something again to start helping her tummy.

I did have some good news as the vet was quite sure now she was suffering from an infection and not anything worse (like uterine Cancer) and her temp has come down.

My one big question is how long can it take to bring a bun out of Stasis?? I'm in it for the long haul but it feels I'm not doing something right, as she isn't coming out of it :(

I was back at the vet this afternoon and it was suggested that I carefully syringe feed her as she isn't really eating by herself at all at the minute. I have managed to get some food into her and she seems slightly perkier as a result. She has started to take water by herself again and is not flopping out. She has been weeing but I have seen no evidence of any poos yet. I massaged her tummy for about 15 minutes and it started making noises but then she ran off.

She is only eating dandelions (these are at her own will) at the moment and unfortunately she has almost had them all now and I have no more growing :(

I am taking her back into the vet’s tomorrow morning at 8.30am to ask for more painkillers and perhaps something again to start helping her tummy.

I did have some good news as the vet was quite sure now she was suffering from an infection and not anything worse (like uterine Cancer) and her temp has come down.

My one big question is how long can it take to bring a bun out of Stasis?? I'm in it for the long haul but it feels I'm not doing something right, as she isn't coming out of it :(

It can take hours - days - week depending on how bad it is and how quickly you can correct the underlying condition and the ileus/stasis itself, some buns take longer than others. Bringing them out of stasis quickly is also down to experience and practice and crucially the right sort of medication at the right time. Pain relief - of adequate amount given regularly enough is crucial, as is fluids. If the stomach is making noises paediatric infacol (simeticone) can be very helpful. Gut motility drugs are often necessary, but it is important to know exactly what is going on inside, a conscious abdominal Xray can help with this.
How long since she last had pain relief and how much was she given? If she isn't eating at all then she will need to be given food and fluids (orally or sub-cut) every couple of hours, and if she is eating some you will need to balance the stress of syringe feeding with the need to keep her guts moving and hydrated. Warmth is very important - a headpad/hot water bottle (safely supervised) and cuddles, and keeping bunny moving around intermittently is also very helpful as this stimulates the guts as well. Keep tempting her with other greens, if all the dandelions have gone then try some fresh picked grass, fresh herbs (basil, coriander, mint, parsley, thyme, rosemary etc) available from any supermarket. You need to keep her going overnight if you can. If she deteriorates she will need to see an emergency vet for additional pain relief/fluids and another assessment in case she is obstructed. Good luck x

Thank you to everyone who has posted on my two threads. I however have to give you the sad news that she waited for me to come home from work. She could barely lift her head and when she did it was to say goodbye and so she took her last breath & she passed with me stroking her and telling her I love her.
I had done everything I could and took her to every appointment; I just wish she had gone sooner. She was on painkillers, so I am just hoping she wasn't in any discomfort.

So anyone who reads this, please from me give your bunny a kiss and tell them you love them from me.

Rest in peace my little angel and I will see you again, go and be with Lavender in the great meadows above. I will forever love you :'(

Back