• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Green Oat Hay

katie2000

Alpha Buck
Has anyone bought this recently?

Is it still stalky and dusty with lots of seedy bits?

I am still waiting patiently for it to be those lovely long, soft green strands and when it does I am going to buy lots and lots :D

Spenser's got some, I didn't realise it could be soft - he seems to like it better than most hays although it's stalky and seedy.

It seems to vary hugely throughout the year and they refuse point blank to even acknowledge it as hay when it is stalky and seedy :shock:

I have a feeling it must've been last summer when it was lovely long strands and no dust at all and not a single seed head

To be honest I think it's really variable - I actually think it might be to do with the processing of bagging it, I've had several with the long grassy strands (which my buns love) and several with the really thick stalks and seed heads - (which they do eat but, not as keen) - I switched to the Oat, wheat and barley hay because it's always green leafy type strands, the large bag is about £9.00 from the hayexperts but, very condensed and it does last a long time - certainly pound for pound the same value as the Burns Green Oat I think.:wave:

Spenser doesn't like any hay enough to warrant buying a large bag - I'm still buying sample bags from Animal Magic.

That's very interesting about the Oat, Wheat and Barley hay - I hadn't realised it was long and grassy. I think I will def give it a try while I wait patiently for the green oat hay to turn leafy :D

Spenser doesn't like any hay enough to warrant buying a large bag - I'm still buying sample bags from Animal Magic.

I'm not sure if you can get sample's from hayexperts tbh I think you probably can, in all honesty Lisa is so helpful if you rang her I'm sure she'd do one for you, the Oat, Wheat & Barley does come in smaller bags aswell i think.

I'm not sure if you can get sample's from hayexperts tbh I think you probably can, in all honesty Lisa is so helpful if you rang her I'm sure she'd do one for you, the Oat, Wheat & Barley does come in smaller bags aswell i think.

Yes, you can, but I think they come in a pack and I know my fussy boy doesn't like some of the other types.:roll:

:wave: Thank you - I have just emailed now to see if they can help me.

Can't wait until the green oat hay is back to normal. I have been saving up my pennies so will hopefully have enough to buy massively in bulk :D

:wave: Thank you - I have just emailed now to see if they can help me.

Can't wait until the green oat hay is back to normal. I have been saving up my pennies so will hopefully have enough to buy massively in bulk :D

Awww trouble is you can't guarantee getting it like that, it's almost like the machine packing the bags sucks through all the green leafy strands and bags them and then the next one gets all the stalky bits - it's bizarre, I had an order of about 4 bags once and 2 were leafy soft strands and the other two were stalky bitty ones so i do think it's a processing thing rather than seasonal if you see what I mean, I'm sure if your bunny likes the green leafy strands that the Oat Wheat and Barley will be very well received :wave:

We use the Oxbow Oat hay and the ONLY bits our two love are the seeds!! :lol:

:lol: I was going to say that, I've read a few people's buns really like the bitty bits and thick stalks, just goes to prove they are all uniquely fussy :lol:

I bought 2 bags recently and its not as nice as the last lot I had its very short bits not like last time they were lovely and long.

:lol: I was going to say that, I've read a few people's buns really like the bitty bits and thick stalks, just goes to prove they are all uniquely fussy :lol:

:wave:My buns are certainly VERY fussy!! Even the seed heads on their normal meadow hay get thrown out of the litter tray! I shouldn't complain though because the long leafy bits are probably better for their teeth.

I wonder if hay experts have replied yet....I can't access my hotmail from work so will have to wait until I get home.

I didn't realise the quality of hay was to do with the packing process, I just assumed it must be seasonal. My local petshop stock the green oat hay so I always pop in once a week to inspect their new delivery which has been stalky and seedy for months now!!

:wave:My buns are certainly VERY fussy!! Even the seed heads on their normal meadow hay get thrown out of the litter tray! I shouldn't complain though because the long leafy bits are probably better for their teeth.

I wonder if hay experts have replied yet....I can't access my hotmail from work so will have to wait until I get home.

I didn't realise the quality of hay was to do with the packing process, I just assumed it must be seasonal. My local petshop stock the green oat hay so I always pop in once a week to inspect their new delivery which has been stalky and seedy for months now!!

I suppose it could be but, I thought maybe the packing process was responsible as I've had a few bags from the same 'batch' and completely different, it's a mystery :lol:

I bought 2 bags recently and its not as nice as the last lot I had its very short bits not like last time they were lovely and long.

Ditto, the bag I have this time is really quite seedy and bitty! (and that's a technical term just in case you were wondering:D)

Ditto, the bag I have this time is really quite seedy and bitty! (and that's a technical term just in case you were wondering:D)

:lol: I've just had a lovely bag delivered today it's kind of half and half long soft green strands and then the thicker stalky bitty bits at the bottom, wish I'd ordered 2 now :p

:lol: I've just had a lovely bag delivered today it's kind of half and half long soft green strands and then the thicker stalky bitty bits at the bottom, wish I'd ordered 2 now :p

Is this from the hay experts? I think my 2 would like it if its half and half! I am getting a sample of the oat, wheat and barley hay from them - the lady who replied to my email sounded lovely!

Back