• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

plantain question

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Is there anything bad about plantain. Spenser loves it, which probably means it is high in something rabbits shouldn't have too much of. :roll: It is one of the few things which has any chance of getting him out from under the couch.

yes :D this is one of the best plants in my opinion
if your natural feeding (difficult this time of year) it's excellent to feed as part of a mixed balanced diet

Its a fantastic natural food,better than giving your bun sugary treets.Well done you :D:D:D:D:wave::wave::wave::wave:

I was just searching on the forum for exactly the same question! Nigel my new bun goes mad for it and if its good for him then thats great!

My bunnies don't often eat the fresh stuff but will eat the dried stuff, not sure what that's about :roll: They absolutely love the 'Burns' stuff I get from the Hay Experts.

i grew trays full of it for eric - didn't like it :roll: he will eat the dried bits within the naturals range though.

keep munching spenser:D

Last edited:
All ours love plantain I buy the dried plantain from the hay experts and just sprinkle a little of it over their hay and make them truffle in the hay for it. I give it as a little treat now and then :D

Mine is probably the same stuff (Burns), although I usually get it from Animal Magic. It was very useful when I was litter training Spenser.

Mine get herbs every day (either dandelion, plantain or mountain herbs), and they get a small handful sprinkled on their hay every evening. They love it. :)

Sorry to sound totally stupid....but can someone point me towards a photo of what a plantain looks like.
I always though it was something like a mango that grows in the West Indies, but I'm sure I heard my mum refer to one of the weeds growing in our front lawn as a plantain - if it is our two have a ready made supply!

Many thanks,
Rob

I don't have a photo of the plant, but the plantain I give Spenser is dried and sold in bags by Animal Magic Pet Supplies and The Hay Experts. Pets at Home do a version that also includes dried clover.

Hopefully someone else will be able to help.:wave:

Sorry to sound totally stupid....but can someone point me towards a photo of what a plantain looks like.
I always though it was something like a mango that grows in the West Indies, but I'm sure I heard my mum refer to one of the weeds growing in our front lawn as a plantain - if it is our two have a ready made supply!

Many thanks,
Rob

there is actually a banana plantain that is high in protein and does indeed originate from hot countries but it's very likely that you have a ready made plantain supply in your garden, send me a photo if you can, i will be able to identify it for you :D

Many thanks,
Rob

Yes native plantains grow everywhere - in the lawn, beside the road in the embankment, parks, fields, by rivers/streams.
There are essentially two main species in the UK. Broad-leaved and Ribwort. Broad-leaved seems to prefer damper soil and ribwort appears to prefer it better drained. I would not pick from beside roads due to car fumes etc but it is quite possible it is growing in your lawn - probably the broad-leaved variety, it does in ours and a lot of people's.
If you google broad leaved and ribwort plantain you'll find lots of image links or get a wildflowers of britain book from the library/amazon :wave:

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=e...snum=4&sqi=2&ved=0CD0QsAQwAw&biw=1264&bih=573

and
http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1...&sa=1&q=ribwort+plantain&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=

Back