• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do breeders breed & what can we do to change the breeders mentality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambience

Warren Veteran
What would a breeder need in order to stop breeding? Is it just money- is that the only reason they are doing it? Or is it something else?

What urge is the breeder fulfilling- the urge to run there own business- work for themselves, be able to work outside society's rules and regulations. - How can this need be diverted in a more positive way?

What makes someone what to start breeding? What makes a breeder stop breeding?

How can we change the industry of breeding animals for the better?

There are many different reasons why people breed rabbits.
I enjoy breeding lovely rabbits and improving their breed (health and temprament wise) :)

Its very hard to actually make money breeding rabbits really, unless you are a mass producer or possibly cut some corners, I just cant see how it would be possible to make very much at all.

Large scale commercial farms = Money

Small scale hobby breeder = Entertainment...something to pass the time

You would find it hard to stop the former from breeding because it is their livelihood, but the latter usually stop when they get married, have kids, or just get bored, etc.

The only people who stand any chance at making money are those who truly do the worst breeding. Generally those at the better end of the scale make no money at all.

Each breeder will have different reasons for doing it, some like rabbits, some have grown up with it, some have had bad problems with their rabbits and want to try to eradicate that issue from their rabbits, some want to be creative, some want to save a breed, some enjoy babies, some use it to make money, some do it because its a hobby they enjoy, etc, etc.

I think those that show also have that aspect that gives them a 'reason' to breed.

I think there need to be proper regulations for breeders, and licensing and checking up and monitoring of those breeders. People should either be able to buy from a licensed breeder, or adopt from a rescue, and there should be no other options. Pet Shops should not sell, and all rabbits should be sold spayed/neutered to prevent those 'accidental' litters or any other type of litter.

The only people who stand any chance at making money are those who truly do the worst breeding. Generally those at the better end of the scale make no money at all.

Each breeder will have different reasons for doing it, some like rabbits, some have grown up with it, some have had bad problems with their rabbits and want to try to eradicate that issue from their rabbits, some want to be creative, some want to save a breed, some enjoy babies, some use it to make money, some do it because its a hobby they enjoy, etc, etc.

I think those that show also have that aspect that gives them a 'reason' to breed.

I think there need to be proper regulations for breeders, and licensing and checking up and monitoring of those breeders. People should either be able to buy from a licensed breeder, or adopt from a rescue, and there should be no other options. Pet Shops should not sell, and all rabbits should be sold spayed/neutered to prevent those 'accidental' litters or any other type of litter.

I agree with all you said, especially the 1st paragraph. :) I don't think breeding should be stopped altogether (only back yard ones :? ) but I think breeders should have a license and are checked every year or 6 months. :wave:

The breeder I got Oscar off (before I came on here and learnt all about rescue buns) bred to try and get certain characteristics in rabbits- like blue eyes white or super small nethies... Although all her rabbits were really well cared for and I'm still in touch with her a bit now.

I agree. The way things currently stand is that breeders can go on un-noticed and un-regulated by local councils or if spotted an the council wants to do something then they will be landed with a big bill for being a pet shop. Currently awful breeders are allowed to go on making fair amounts of money supplying pet shops.

I honestly do think that if animals were not sold in pet shops then rescues would be helped as there wouldn't be so many impulse purchases or people thinking "lets get a bunny for the kids". If only rescues and decent breeders were the only ones allowed to supply they could educate the people purchasing the animals who in turn may either be put off getting the animal or at leas know the basics of how to care for it and have decent accomodation.

Large scale commercial farms = Money

Small scale hobby breeder = Entertainment...something to pass the time

You would find it hard to stop the former from breeding because it is their livelihood, but the latter usually stop when they get married, have kids, or just get bored, etc.

Totally agree, and I get sick of the comment that they are breeding to better the breed, how ridiculous is that, just think about it:roll:

How would I stop it - make ALL breeders spend a month 24/7 in a rescue

What would a breeder need in order to stop breeding? Is it just money- is that the only reason they are doing it? Or is it something else?
some do it to better the breed, some to ensure a certain family line is not changed ie for showing etc, some breed to fulfill the pet market, some breed because they do not know about the amount of rabbits in rescues, some breed for money, some breed because they are ignorant or due to miss sexing
What urge is the breeder fulfilling- the urge to run there own business- work for themselves, be able to work outside society's rules and regulations. - How can this need be diverted in a more positive way?urge being fulfilled will depend on the reason they are breeding i dont think all breeders are bad, i think some breeders do right by there rabbits and its the ones who dont research first or overbreed etc that i find too much, education education education of everyone will help change the opinions

What makes someone what to start breeding? What makes a breeder stop breeding?the only thing that will stop a breeder breeding is if they a) find its too difficult.stressful, b) dont make money, c) no longer enjoy it, d) are eduucated and no longer want to contribute to over population, e) if there is no show standereds to breed to

How can we change the industry of breeding animals for the better?

campaign to educate people into what a good breeder should ensure, put in legislation to only allow people to breed with licenses, such ascan be proved (with spot inspecition) that they are reputable and conduct their business in a way that is not detrimental to the animals health, ie, good vet cover, good transport for vet emergancys, has ample space for large lodgings for parenting rabbits and kits, has ample runs and run space, has a short course certificationin sexing and rabbit care, has a good set of fact sheets to give to potential new owners, has a good awareness of disease and control of disease.

Totally agree, and I get sick of the comment that they are breeding to better the breed, how ridiculous is that, just think about it:roll:

How would I stop it - make ALL breeders spend a month 24/7 in a rescue
i dont think bettering the breed is a bad idea? to try and prevent health issues ie, to stop dental issues, ears that drag along the floor congenital heart condition etc etc how is that a bad thing? x

There are many different reasons why people breed rabbits.
I enjoy breeding lovely rabbits and improving their breed (health and temprament wise) :)

Its very hard to actually make money breeding rabbits really, unless you are a mass producer or possibly cut some corners, I just cant see how it would be possible to make very much at all.

This :)
Lots of breeders breed so they can bring healthy rabbits into the world, and also because they enjoy it.

It's near impossible to make money when breeding animals correctly, with all the health testing and proper care. Most breeders actually make a loss.

campaign to educate people into what a good breeder should ensure, put in legislation to only allow people to breed with licenses, such ascan be proved (with spot inspecition) that they are reputable and conduct their business in a way that is not detrimental to the animals health, ie, good vet cover, good transport for vet emergancys, has ample space for large lodgings for parenting rabbits and kits, has ample runs and run space, has a short course certificationin sexing and rabbit care, has a good set of fact sheets to give to potential new owners, has a good awareness of disease and control of disease.

This is exactly how the breeder I use for rats operates and would be happy with spot checks I'm sure as all potential new owners are invited round to meet her animals and so she can find out what you know. Food and information at the time of adoption is provided and she ensures she sees photographs of your housing. You also have to sign a disclaimer to return all animals you can no longer care for and must not breed from them unless it has been discussed with her first and she considers you prepared.

This lady has a fab bunny set-up for her rescue buns of a 6ft x4ft shed with an attached 10ft x6ft run. They get free range time daily as she doesn't work. She also has rescue guinea pigs and rescue cats

I think there need to be proper regulations for breeders, and licensing and checking up and monitoring of those breeders. People should either be able to buy from a licensed breeder, or adopt from a rescue, and there should be no other options. Pet Shops should not sell, and all rabbits should be sold spayed/neutered to prevent those 'accidental' litters or any other type of litter.[/QUOTE]

:thumb:

Breeding out health problems is one thing, but some breeding for the 'perfect' specimen is actually done on traits which are detrimental to rabbit health. Wild rabbits have evolved to be how they are for a reason....because it works.

Breeding for showing makes me cross, particularly when some breeders palm off their 'rejects' onto rescues. Sorry, but I actually see this happen and it makes me angry.

i dont think bettering the breed is a bad idea? to try and prevent health issues ie, to stop dental issues, ears that drag along the floor congenital heart condition etc etc how is that a bad thing? x

That'll be the health issues that the breeders created in the first place.

TV Program based on Snowy's idea

Breeder/Rescue wife swap

Take three breeders, one large-scale commercial, one hobby, one accidental, have to spend a month in a rescue for the species that they breed, doing all the mucky jobs, taking in neglected animals, talking to people on the phone, emptying hoarders houses, getting no sleep, looking at vet's bills ...

Then they have a break down - tears, regret, exhaustion - all on camera, and even if they don't have a "realisation" the reality of rescues will have already been exposed, then cut back to their breeding barns where it's obvious so much excess stock is being produced and that this is a...

BIG PROBLEM!

I plan to breed to keep the smoke pearl breed going (only 6 breeders in the country currently breeding smoke pearls), and also to improve the breed (keep them healthy). They are generally a healthy and hardy breed with few health problems. I want to start breeding them because i love rabbits and I love the smoke pearl breed and I would love other people to experience it too. I may also take part in showing, but I wouldn't breed faults into rabbits for prizes. The rabbits would be kept in large hutches, and the does being kept in pairs for company for the whole of their lives. They would be neutered at the end of their breeding life and kept with me for the rest of their days. Breeding would be a hobby and only a few litters a year, and only if I wanted to keep a kit from the litter.

And I would have no problem being licenced and having regularly checks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back