• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

White pee

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Just been in to see my bunnies and there is a white stain on the brown/cream duvet cover. Im thinking this is calcium in his/her pee I've been feeding dried dandilion/plantian almost daily to encourage Sebastian to eat, do you think this is the cause?

My understanding was that rabbits are supposed to excrete extra calcium via the urine so its not necessarily a bad thing its white. The thing to look out for is that it isn't thick or sludgy.

Yeh I think it is just excess calcium from they dandys hun, maybe just avoid them for a couple of days if possible. If its the only thing getting Sebastian to eat though I wouldnt worry too much as long as its not sludgy :wave:

Yeh I think it is just excess calcium from they dandys hun, maybe just avoid them for a couple of days if possible. If its the only thing getting Sebastian to eat though I wouldnt worry too much as long as its not sludgy :wave:

he seems back to normal so I will cut down on them, any idea if plantain is high or low in calcium?

My two have been doing this occasionally - the only thing they have had (apart from hay and their pellets) is spring greens - no dandelions to be found anywhere:shock: - I guess they have the same effect though?

Last edited:
where are you growing yours? I want to start growing some seeds but dad is insisting its to cold even in the house :roll:

they're perennial so come year after year, mine are all in my garden but i do have plenty seeds that i grow indoors
seeds do need warmth to germinate, your dad's right but do you have access to a glasshouse or conservatory?

they're perennial so come year after year, mine are all in my garden but i do have plenty seeds that i grow indoors
seeds do need warmth to germinate, your dad's right but do you have access to a glasshouse or conservatory?

I have a conservatory but the buns are in thier with windows open :?

Dandelion is quite a strong diuretic (makes us wee more, & can cause dehydration if the bun does not compensate by drinking more) especially when dry, Plantain is milder.
It's normal for bunny wee to dry leaving a white residue, but when passed it should only be slightly cloudy.

However densely cloudy white fresh wee is not only due to high calcium intake, it can be a sign of dehydration & low fluid intake. This is especially so if stasis is prolonged.

There are no clinical signs until dehydration is severe, except passing less wee than usual. This is very difficult to ascertain in the normal litter tray.

Total fluid intake should be about 100ml per Kgm per day. Buns can get a substantial amount of this intake from wet washed fresh foods.

thankyou :wave: my two have never been big drinkers but have access to a bowl of water :? will deffinatly cut down on the dandelions :wave:

Back