• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mad Doe Behaviour - Need Advice

DeevDee

Young Bun
Hey there,
I recently adopted 2 does. One is outgoing, lively and easy to handle, the other is quiet, grumpy, stubborn and sometimes a bit mean.
The outgoing one keeps humping the quiet one and today I found her making a nest. I thought I had her figured out but I'm confused by the dominant
behaviour coupled with the nest-building!
I don't believe they have been spayed. Would this make much difference? It's a lot of money we don't have to get them both done but if it stops the humping etc I'll save up the money!

Hey there,
I recently adopted 2 does. One is outgoing, lively and easy to handle, the other is quiet, grumpy, stubborn and sometimes a bit mean.
The outgoing one keeps humping the quiet one and today I found her making a nest. I thought I had her figured out but I'm confused by the dominant
behaviour coupled with the nest-building!
I don't believe they have been spayed. Would this make much difference? It's a lot of money we don't have to get them both done but if it stops the humping etc I'll save up the money!

It could be a phantom/psuedo pregnancy :(

I would strongly recommend having them both spayed, it will help with grumpy behaviour, but not necessarily remove it.

Also, more importantly, 85% of does will suffer with a form of uterine cancer before the age of 5, if unspayed :cry:

Are you 100% sure they are both girls? If one of them has been missexed you might have a pregnancy on your hands...

It could be a phantom/psuedo pregnancy :(

I would strongly recommend having them both spayed, it will help with grumpy behaviour, but not necessarily remove it.

Also, more importantly, 85% of does will suffer with a form of uterine cancer before the age of 5, if unspayed :cry:

I've heard that it *could* help but I'm afraid of spending over £100 and them being exactly the same afterwards.

Last edited:
Even if it doesn't help the behaviour, which would be very unusual if it didn't, it will completely eliminate the risk of overine cancer which is very, very common.

Not 100%! Would a doe hump her sibling like crazy and be pregnant at the same time? Rabbits are so confusing!

:cry:

Please seperate them immediately if yuo can and get them both sexed by a vet.

I really hope that she's not pregnant, for her and your sake.

I've heard that it *could* help but I'm afraid of spending over £100 and them being exactly then same afterwards.

Well it may not 100% help their behaviour but it will protect them from the uterine cancer that Gray talked about, so it wouldnt be a waste of money (not that I am saying you think that, of course!) as it will prolong their life and prevent suffering.:)

hi. dont really know an awful lot about bunnies but i have heard that for health reason it really is best to get your bunnies speyed.

Personally as Gray already said your best option would be to get them spayed. Although there is a chance is wont help, there's a bigger chance it will. Hormonal females are not buns to be reckoned with. When Gypsy first came to me at 3 years she was unspayed. She nested all the time, was very aggressive towards me etc. I had her spayed asap and she is now a sweatheart, no longer has phantom pregnancys and is happily living with two of my other buns.

My Vet in Nailsea is very good with buns. They've neutered/spayed 5 of mine. I think my last spay was £60 but it would depend where abouts in Bristol you are if they'd be of any use to you?

Thats good advice! Hope everything is ok tho and this is not the case!

I'm pretty sure that they are both female. They are almost identical. I have trouble telling them apart most of the time. I wasn't aware of the Ovarian cancer and the need for spaying when I got them. It probably explains why they were put up for sale in the first place. I'll try to get them spayed asap. Thanks for all the help guys!

Personally as Gray already said your best option would be to get them spayed. Although there is a chance is wont help, there's a bigger chance it will. Hormonal females are not buns to be reckoned with. When Gypsy first came to me at 3 years she was unspayed. She nested all the time, was very aggressive towards me etc. I had her spayed asap and she is now a sweatheart, no longer has phantom pregnancys and is happily living with two of my other buns.

My Vet in Nailsea is very good with buns. They've neutered/spayed 5 of mine. I think my last spay was £60 but it would depend where abouts in Bristol you are if they'd be of any use to you?

Thanks Amy. Much appreciated. We've already for a vet for our guinea pigs. I'll take the buns there after payday!

Debby

How old are they? Depending on there age it may be easy to have a quick look yourself as once the males bits have dropped these are easy to see.

How old are they? Depending on there age it may be easy to have a quick look yourself as once the males bits have dropped these are easy to see.

They are 1 year old according to their past owner. I tried to sex them the other day but think I need to do some more research first! Will try again later.

They are 1 year old according to their past owner. I tried to sex them the other day but think I need to do some more research first! Will try again later.

This may sound odd, but take pictures if you can and post them here, people may be able to help identify them for you.

If they are a year old boys should def have plums by now.

I'd offer to do it for you but I wouldn't trust myself 100%.

Back