• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dark, slightly runny poos

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Spenser's poos have been much better in quantity and colour (not golden, but at least a bit browner), but I notice he has done some dark and slightly runny ones this afternoon. What does this mean? I'm doing my best to improve his diet, but it's difficult to balance getting him to eat the right things with actually keeping him eating enough. He's had a nibble of a treat stick a friend gave him, but not very much so I wouldn't have thought this could upset him.

I'l try to get a picture, but Spenser is currently in his basin. :roll: It may well be what you suggest as he had been dozing previously.

don't be fooled! with esme, the tiniest bit of 'sweet' veg can give her runny poo so i daresay that there's something quite sweet and tasty in the treat he had.

don't be fooled! with esme, the tiniest bit of 'sweet' veg can give her runny poo so i daresay that there's something quite sweet and tasty in the treat he had.

Same with Mini. :oops: She can tolerate a very small bit a few times a year but that's all. Also when she moults we get some sticky poos.

I have taken a picture but Spenser objects to the public exhibition of his poos. On further insepction he has actually nommed a fair bit of the treat.

Could be due to the treats :wave:

Toffee can suffer from darker poo and runny poo if given too much veg too!

Biccy gets them if he has too much sugar (mainly if my OH gives him non 'natural' treats. Excess caecs that is anyway and smaller, darker poops.

Could be due to the treats :wave:

Toffee can suffer from darker poo and runny poo if given too much veg too!

Spenser's a bit off his greens at present, but it may well be the treat - I never buy him that type, and he doesn't usually eat them when well-meaning friends provide them. He's thumped his feet a bit this afternoon, which is VERY unusual for him - maybe just having an off day.

bunnies with a sweet tooth eh! could well be that. try more hay and maybe a tiny bit less veg til he does you some poops to be proud of:D

Back