• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

spayed female and un-neutered male?

bunkins

New Kit
Hi there!
I was wondering what you guys thought about this. I currently have a young male who is too young to be neutered at the moment, but I have found a young spayed female who I am interesting in buying, who I would like to bond with him. Would I be able to bond them straight away, and just get my male neutered when he is old enough? Thanks

Chances are once he's developed enough to be neutered he'll be as horny as a rabbit and will most likely cause annoyance to the female by constantly trying to mount her, and he will remain hormonal and fertile for at least a month (maybe longer) after he has been 'done'. It is probably preferential to get him neutered, let his hormones relax then proceed with bonding.

i had a similar situation. i had my doe Dorothy who had lost her mate and so i took on a 9 month old buck; re home bunny called Buddy (who i still have) i bonded them more or less straight away, but he pestered the life out of poor Dot! luckily i could have him done more or less straight away and i did put them straight back together as i didn't want to break the bond.
i must admit he was incredibly 'persistant' the first couple of weeks but he did calm down a little bit.
i think Dot was so tolerant as she was a huge english and he is a nethie so he was just a 'wee pest' lol! :roll:

bunkins have you thought about getting a rescue rabbit to go with your existing bunny?

bunkins have you thought about getting a rescue rabbit to go with your existing bunny?

Hi Schuette, I had thought about waiting until he was neutered and getting a rescue, but I saw an adorable female on preloved close to me (terrible I know). Maybe I would be better off waiting!

i had a similar situation. i had my doe Dorothy who had lost her mate and so i took on a 9 month old buck; re home bunny called Buddy (who i still have) i bonded them more or less straight away, but he pestered the life out of poor Dot! luckily i could have him done more or less straight away and i did put them straight back together as i didn't want to break the bond.
i must admit he was incredibly 'persistant' the first couple of weeks but he did calm down a little bit.
i think Dot was so tolerant as she was a huge english and he is a nethie so he was just a 'wee pest' lol! :roll:

Haha! I imagine that would have been interesting to watch, do they get on well with such a large size difference then?

Sorry I read it that your current rabbit was neutered and your new one wasn't :oops:

Preloved bunnies need homes too :D

Hi Schuette, I had thought about waiting until he was neutered and getting a rescue, but I saw an adorable female on preloved close to me (terrible I know). Maybe I would be better off waiting!

let your brain kick in and think how much a vet trip could be if they fought and really hurt one another....or worse.

I'd have your male neutered, then look for a spayed doe from a rescue.

How old is your male? Most vets will neuter them as soon as their bits drop so you shouldn't have to long to wait.

Do you have space to keep her seperate in the interim?

How old is your male? Most vets will neuter them as soon as their bits drop so you shouldn't have to long to wait.

Do you have space to keep her seperate in the interim?

I took him into the vets yesterday and they said to wait a couple of months because he is only just 1kg (he is a Netherland Dwarf).

I don't really have the space to keep them separate because I don't want to cut down my males time out of his cage- he has the run of the house nearly all day and hopefully all night too once the room is fully rabbit-proof.

The only thing is, if she's a preloved bunny how sure can you be that she is really spayed? I would definitely get yours done first or there is a possibilty not only of an expensive fight but also babies. Can you ask the person if they can wait a little while first? Or wait and then get a rescue bun?

Thats a shame, my vets did Comet (also a nethie) at about 13 weeks, who was only about 1kg, but I know some prefer to wait a bit longer with small buns. I don't know what I'd of done if they hadn't, he was super hormonal and sprayed me in the face more than once. :oops:

The only thing is, if she's a preloved bunny how sure can you be that she is really spayed? I would definitely get yours done first or there is a possibilty not only of an expensive fight but also babies. Can you ask the person if they can wait a little while first? Or wait and then get a rescue bun?

Oh, I never thought about that. The last thing I want is lots a babies running round (as cute as it would be)

Back