• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rews

Grin

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone know much about Rew rabbits? I've been meaning to ask for a while but dont want to come across as twp.

Daisy is absolutely gorgeous and such a joy. We've had her since October and it's apparent that her eye sight is quite poor. Lucky plays awful tricks on her by snatching her grub and hiding. :roll: I make sure i am with her to make sure she gets her fair share etc.

I'm sure she's light sensitive too because when i turn the lights on, it startles her and she keeps her eyes closed for a while. Obviously, i try not to put lights on in case it bothers her but my daughter needs the light on as she leaves for school in the dark.

She seems oblivious to certain things and often does this 'look around and lean too far and then correct' herself maneuver. It's something she's alawys done and was checked by the vet so it's def not head tilt.

Is this something that all Rews do/have? Is there anything else i should be aware of or sensitive too? I'd be really appreciative of any advice to be aware of.

She's very inquisitive and i am sure she makes full uses of other senses. She's a very clever bunny. :)

Unfortunately it's commonly known that REWs have terrible eyesight.
I am a failed foster, and the 3 babies (well they're over 1, will be 2 this year) have terrible eyesight.
Gabriel is a REW, like his mother (Angel), but his brothers are sealpoints and have dark blue/hazel eyes. All the babies scan quite badly, but it does not affect them in the slightest! They're constantly up to mischief scooting around!
Nothing to worry about!

my REW is almost totally blind aparently, but she does get around quite fine :D, she does react to bright lights too, the other buns used to push her around a bit at feeding time (as she is TINY), but she has soon toughened up & doesn't let them away with it now :lol::lol:,

It's good to know that this is normal. I really do feel for her when i see her squinting as i know it's probably in discomfort. :( I love it when i'm sat with her and she just looks at me - i know she's trying to make me out but she's so comfortable with me. :love: When i am on my hands and knees sweeping, she climbs on my back - i dont know if she hasnt figured out that i cant stroke her from that position! :lol:

Lucky is a bit faster and more agile than her - and is a greedy guts - so takes advantage of that. I dont let him get away with it though! :lol::lol:

ETA: Thanks for reassuring me that this is normal. :)

Sounds very similar to my lot. Akasma does go for you if you make a sudden movement and she scanning. Merlin used to have his eyes shut a lot but seems to keep them open more now.

I'm sure she's light sensitive too because when i turn the lights on, it startles her and she keeps her eyes closed for a while. Obviously, i try not to put lights on in case it bothers her but my daughter needs the light on as she leaves for school in the dark.

Angel, my REW bunny does this too. They do have poorer eyesight than other breeds I believe.

I have a REW who doesn't seem to have any sight problems (China), but also have a Himalayan Nethie with red eyes who hardly sees at all (Rocket). He has a happy, full life that's pretty much normal! Occasionally he gets afraid of hands moving near him and lunges towards it, but only because he can't see your hand properly and doesn't know what it is. :love:

AMETHYST

Spenser only scans in a new space, but he does startle easily and is very timid and skittish if any of us move near him. He is extremely difficult to catch when he is in the conservatory for exercise.

We just started fostering a REW just before Christmas. Jimmy is very skittish and also has poor eyesight bordering on blind. The vet reckons he can only see shadows. He did tell us he will be light sensitive and to keep glaring lights to a minimum and we notice that our little guy only comes out of his box when the lights are off. If we bring him out for snuggles we reduce the lighting and lower the sound of the tv to help him relax. He too is very skittish and does react to hands in front of his face etc but he was also born into a shelter 6 years ago and hasn't had a lot of one on one attention. He also does the scanning where he sways much like Stevie Wonder and this was how we figured out his eyesight was compromised. He scans so far sometimes it looks like he might tip over! lol :love:

We just started fostering a REW just before Christmas. Jimmy is very skittish and also has poor eyesight bordering on blind. The vet reckons he can only see shadows. He did tell us he will be light sensitive and to keep glaring lights to a minimum and we notice that our little guy only comes out of his box when the lights are off. If we bring him out for snuggles we reduce the lighting and lower the sound of the tv to help him relax. He too is very skittish and does react to hands in front of his face etc but he was also born into a shelter 6 years ago and hasn't had a lot of one on one attention. He also does the scanning where he sways much like Stevie Wonder and this was how we figured out his eyesight was compromised. He scans so far sometimes it looks like he might tip over! lol :love:

Lol! I've seen Daisy do this too! :lol:

Back