• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I try a trio or get another bun?

Mr Cookie Bun

Mama Doe
:wave: I got 2 bonded rescue buns on Monday. They are aged approx (male) 3 1/2 years and (female) 9 months and have only been bonded for 6 months. I also have a single bun who's partner died on Boxing day. My intention was to have two pairs of two. Should I risk my rescue pairs bond by trying them as a trio or get another single male to go with my single female. She is pining for Mr Cookie Bun so I need to make a decision soon. I have room and funds for two pairs or a trio x

My exprience is three bun are a crowd. There's always a bun who's getting less attention. I would advise to get another bun for your single bun, so you have 2 couples.
Also I personaly wouldn't take the risk of bounding a bun to an excisting couple, I would be to affraid to disturb a good couple.

I would consider your bunnies personalities and whether you think they would work together. It's rare for the bond to permanently break between an existing pair but it can happen.

I personally love having a trio and haven't experienced the problems trice has with one bun being left out. In fact I'd say they work better as a trio than the girls did as a pair but that's my personal experience and is by no means a guarantee for how groups will work.

The main pro of having a trio is that should one bun die you aren't left with a single bun, as you have now. It will also be cheaper than 2 pairs and I'd imagine you could give them more space.

I would go with another pair definitely. I have heard of a lot of buns where the bond permanently breaks so I disagree that it is rare, it is a risk, you have to weigh up if you want to take that risk. If you have space and money for another pair then this would always be my first option.

I don't really think there's one right answer, it's whatever works with the particular personalities of the buns you have.

I have had several trios (and a group of four at one point) and no bunny has ever been left out, but they were usually either groups of siblings or three single buns that were bonded at the same time- I think there is a lot more risk involved in trying to add to an esisting pair and I'm not sure I would attempt it unless all buns were very laid back around other rabbits which is not all that common.

On the plus side with trios you don't have the same problem of a lonely bun if one of them dies (not nice to think about I know).

My current trio often sit with there heads all together like a three pointed star, all grooming each other which is lovely to see.

On the other hand, if you have time, space and funds it would be lovely to offer a home to another lonely bun in a rescue and that is probably what I would do in your situation, rather than risk breaking up your pair xx

Back