• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Letting buns free range on laminate floors!

Livi

Alpha Buck
I let my pair have a free range in our dining room and hall sometimes!

Only thing is, they do binky like crazy, charge round, skid and slide about a fair bit :roll:

Is this ok? Or should I stop them from having the free range time?

They are outdoor buns, and have a 7x4 run thats about 2 foot high (but their binkies exceed that easily!) but the biggest 'safe' area we can let them loose is indoors....

I just wanted to know if anyone else has their buns on laminate flooring and is it safe?!

I've never had a problem with this- put some towels or rugs down if your concerned. I sometimes have a big blanket in the middle of the room.

I should think they are safe.

I have mine on laminate. They have a rug that they tend to do the majority of their binkys on, I imagine because they know they can get a better grip, however, they do occasionally get over excited & binky off it!!

They do skid on the laminate but seem to be able to judge how long it takes them to stop, infact, I'm sure Poppy has learnt the time it takes her to stop after running and just skids the last bit!! They do clatter about a bit and sometimes it's like a cartoon-when they try and start running too fast they don't get anywhere and stay on the spot, however, fingers crossed, they haven't had an accident to date!!

Thanks all. Think I will put down their bath mat and non slip vet bed to give them the option to binky on that....but knowing them they will insist on binkies on the wood and lots of flying n sliding round :lol:

I've never had a problem with it either. I think they enjoy it, like a human putting on socks to slip and slide :lol:

Mine wouldn't go on laminate either, & was cautious on vinyl. Perhaps some types are slippier than others. My bun has very furry feet. The fur tips his feet over to the side slightly.
Flooding forced me to return to carpet within a month.

I'd get some blankets & rugs down for them if they're skidding. Bunnies can injure themselves very easily.

One of my buns was on laminate and not very fond of it, she was slipping and sliding all over the shop! I have found that my buns don't binky on laminate - the minute they get onto carpet of grass they go mad!

All mine are on lino (or vinyl) but they rarely binky on it but they rarely binkied on carpet too :roll: Only one seems to struggle and that's Mini when she tries to run in circles round me at food time.

Lucky cant stand on laminate (his front paws slide and he lays there) but Daisy doesnt mind.

If they are free-range on laminate, just be careful as a bun who slips and slides, no matter how cute it may look could very easily damage muscle/bone as they slide and their legs twist into un-natural positions. :wave:

That was information given to me when i asked a very similar question regarding vinyl :)

If they are free-range on laminate, just be careful as a bun who slips and slides, no matter how cute it may look could very easily damage muscle/bone as they slide and their legs twist into un-natural positions. :wave:

That was information given to me when i asked a very similar question regarding vinyl :)

Absolutely :thumb:

I caught Nutmeg binky-ing on the laminate earlier which is unusual for her cos she doesn't binky that much, tends to do Bunny 500's instead. Our laminate is the textured stuff.

We had a laminate floor put down at the old house and Grace found it difficult to walk on so we put a couple of rugs down. Some rabbit's seem to cope with it and some don't :)

Lucky cant stand on laminate (his front paws slide and he lays there) but Daisy doesnt mind.

Julie's feet will sometimes do that on the tile floors when she is standing still but she hops and binkies just fine on the tile. She tends to get rug burn when she does lots of binkies on the carpet. She does slide on the tile while binking but seems use to it.

We have laminate for the past year and 2 months ago noticed that Lola has the start of sore hocks (bless her she hates the laminate, whereas SiDney skids along at 20 mph!!) so had to buy a very long runner for the hall - thankfully her sores have healed after a trip to the vet!! My advice get some rugs down!:wave::wave:

We have laminate for the past year and 2 months ago noticed that Lola has the start of sore hocks (bless her she hates the laminate, whereas SiDney skids along at 20 mph!!) so had to buy a very long runner for the hall - thankfully her sores have healed after a trip to the vet!! My advice get some rugs down!:wave::wave:

Interesting. Mini's got way better when I got lino put down and Mischa's went completely. My carpet was really old and rough though. A nice soft rug would probably be better than that old thing. :oops:

Interesting. Mini's got way better when I got lino put down and Mischa's went completely. My carpet was really old and rough though. A nice soft rug would probably be better than that old thing. :oops:
Can't remember whether I've said on one of your threads Schuette. Thumper's got marked fur wear cos he's feeling great & has been humping his toy too much on synthetic carpet. I unpicked the side of a real wool jumper = soft rug for him to hump on. Great.

He came as an emergency before I was geared up. While reorganising my kitchen at ground level he disposed of a bag of flour for me. In so doing he discovered that flour on his feet gave him a better grip on vinyl & laminate. So I left a pile for him to hop into. That's what ballet dancers do with chalk on their shoes. :shock: I can't get over how bright bunnies are.

Back