• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bertie is in the vets..vibes please for my big old duffer.UD/still in vets

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
i was posting not long ago about poor bertie not being right..and i am sure it was to do with the doses of BAYCOX . It was so awful..he kept losing his appetite and pooing really small and dark poos and only a few....at best.

However he has got a history of this ever since he got seriously ill after losing willow back in october 2008:(

every time he begins to get stressed...he gets it..he gets attacks of it and goes downhill every single time. Then he developed pasturella in feb 2010 and he gets an escalation of both which is very upsetting...for him and us:(

Yesterday..he was very very sleepy...and i was having epileptic blackouts every few minutes to every few seconds:( And zuzu was ill and merln needed the check on his tummy mass follow up. so i took them both to the vets. No apparent reason for zuzu..but bloods were taken. merlin luckily has lost 200g of the 300g expected...and the mass has shrunk...its more of a thickening.

I was syringing him every four hours it was all i could do:(

he had 3x metaclopramide....3x zantac....3x infacol...and 3x two 50ml syringes of science selective pellets in hot water fluffed up and syringed..last lot very watery..and a whole tube of fibreplex..well he is a frenchie:shock:

he was not eating by himself last night..overnight or drinking by himself.
And he became very weak n wobbly....i was still blacking out constantly..which made it hell and hell for him:cry:

nikkis still really sick with a bad time of her M.E amd a sore throat.:cry:

so i am alone this time....i shouldnt have pets..i am selfish for doing this:cry:

Last edited:
sending vibes for bertie. you are not selfish. giving your gorgeous bunny all the love and attention you do is not selfish. xx

thank you but i have done all i can do..like anyone else..but i am a failure in not being able to make sure he gets all the care he needs if i am too ill to cope..it could be the difference between life and death:(

i cant get too sleep..blubells missing him so is merlin and the kittens..and zuzus very disturbed:(

bluebells been running round looking for him and hiding from me and going nuts...shes only just got round to eating pellets and hay:shock: for her thats a shock:shock:

shes sulking and its freaked her out..she lost her sister and came back here a mess...shes panicking again...:(

So sorry Bertie is ill :( masses of vibes for him and for you too, to stay strong.

You are NOT a failure :no: its obvious from your posts you do an amazing job with your buns.

Paws crossed xxx

Thank you all so much.
The update was good...i was soo happy..but why oh why does it have to be when pets and loved ones seem to perk up then rapidly slide backwards...:(

this morning hed done really well, the sub cut fluids had helped him lots along with the meds and the syringe feeding. He had done loads of pooos and all a good size..in fact hed done so many theyd fallen out of the door onto the floor as hed hadnt done them in the tray..nope laying down in his sleep:oops::(

they have bertie in the exact same kennel as bluebell was with her sister..they partition it off for bonded buns and the healthy bun gets to run round on the floor....
so its just as well i didnt take bluebell right? i never ever suggest splitting buns when bonded but for her sake as much as berties i kept her home..can you imagine the blind panic and stress on her part which would then transfer to him:shock::(

this evening hes not eating by himself at all..not even the vegs..and hes not drinking by himself again either..the sub cut fluids had long since gone. he was able to get in and out his litter tray and had been weeing and only a few tiny poops again....:(

theyve let him out and hes been hopping around in and out of the cage/kennel...but so did dazy-mae the day before she died.:cry:

i cant help it..i try to stay:cry: positive but i think if i belive the worst or prepare for it..i will be surprised and things will be ok....:(

i really really hope he will be ok...but if the suspicion is the bacterial conjunctivitis is linked to berties pasturella..and his wheeziness....what then.

but hes not snotty as in opaque snot..just a bit of damp clear stuff under his nostrils where the food dust collects!

i know bertie wil often behave better at home so fingers crossed he gets some more fluids tonight..whether iv or sub cut and it will help him with the meds so i can collect him tomorrow to nurse him.

i slept on and off most of the day...and i have only had about 10 smaller blackouts..the bigger ones never led to a major seizure for me either..which it normally does! so im hoping i will be ok to look afte:(r him 24/7......i think being home with bluebell and sniffing merlin through the bars and getting snuggled by zuzu and the kitts...will help him lots.....never mind the cuddles and kisses he gets from us....:oops:

vibes please folks..i need to get my big boy home..hes missed sooo much..hes such and old sweetheart:love:

Im hoping he improves enough to bring him home and nurse him here as they do so much better in their own homes unless hes on a drip.

hi hun:wave: nooooooo hes in emsworth;)

its twice the price to get there and back but oh so worth it for bunvets...
i will take em to animed for things like nail clippings..vaccines...but only the cowplain branch cos its so close.

ive found that claire and saski seem to be doubling up on care and share with bertie and merlin so far..and poor dazy-mae.(at the bridge)

do you think ive done right by bluebell not sending her in with bertie as the cage/kennel is the one her and her sister shared?..and i didnt want her having flashbacks:cry:

if she wont have bertie back...merlin will be with bertie again.....and shell be at one end of the lounge with access to the hallway and stairs for a few hrs a day..but im hoping she will be just glad to see him :love:

i know we will!

Back