• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you store your hay?

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
I am guilty of spending a fortune on hay/straw by buying it in a bag from the shop. I would really like to start buying it bigger and cheaper. How much is a bale? How do I go about getting one? and do they deliver? How do you store yours? I have a massive shed but don't want it kept loose in there, I just wondered what everyone else did. Thanks x

I don't have bales but when I do I think I'll store it in storage bins and in the garage probably.

I don't have bales but when I do I think I'll store it in storage bins and in the garage probably.

Thanks, I was thinking bins were probably the best. There are quite a few farms around me so I guess I would contact them.

I buy a 5 pack every two months or so from Animal Magic Pet Supplies. Its £20.00, but it lasts long and its tightly compressed. They're greeat :thumb:
I store them i a giant metal boxy thing, which sits next to the hutch. As long as the hay is kept dry, im sure it'll be fine!

my hay lives in a duvet cover in the shed. never enquired about delivery. mine today was 6.50 but the last batch was 5.00 its been a bad hay year apparently :shock:

I don't buy bales, just big bags of it cheap, £10 for a heavy bag full. I store mine in big plastic storage boxes. I find they keep the rain off (obviously) but give a slight ventalation between the lid and the box. Mine keeps well and doesn't sweat. I also have a natual cotton bag with a pull string top that I use to store small quanties when doing "top ups" on the rabbits hay :)

Bales around her cost between £5-£7 depending on where you go and the quality. My last bale was around £6.50 and I just shove it in my car!

I store mine in a hay bale bag (you can get them on EBay) but a duvet cover works too. I store mine in the shed and it's generally fine.

i dont buy bales either but buy pre packaged hay which is about 1/4 bale and its just in the rabbitry and never lasts long enough to have anything happen to it lol

I have bales of hay, we harvested rather a lot last year and we bring about 50 over to ours at a time, 6 stack up in the shed and the rest are on pallets and covered with a massive heavy duty tarp. In summer we make sure theres space round the bottom for air circulation so it doesnt go bad. I find bags messy. Megazorb bags opened out and wrapped round works well for containing the mess if you can.

I store mine in one of these:

434f8bf2.jpg

It's a garden cushion storage box thing and a bale fits perfectly in it :D

I pay £4.50 for a bale

Back