• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Things for rabbits to chew on

Alicia

Mama Doe
I know the best thing for rabbits to chew on is hay, but I was wondering if there is anything else I can give them to chew on as well as their hay? I'd really like to try and avoid the rabbits having dental problems, they might be quite hard to avoid but if there is any way I could stop my rabbits getting any problems with their teeth I'd like to try it. They'd have hay, but what else can they have to chew?
Do most rabbits get dental problems at some point in their lives?

Try and find someone you know who has apple/willow/birch/hawthorne trees and ask if you could have some branches, usually when they're pruning them, or you may find them out and about in parks, particularly the hawthorne/birch/willow. Break them in small pieces for them to last longer. :D

yep definitely the hay experts

west wales willows has some REALLY nice willow products available

some of the things from the above companies might seem a bit pricey but my bunnies prefer them to the toys you get from PAH and the quality is SO much better - half the normal pet shop toys we have bought get thrown away before the bunnies even really get to use them as they break and are then unsafe

My girls are so not interested in willow at all....the stick just lay about:roll:...BUT give the an apple branch amd they spend ages gnawing away - I think it tastes abit sweet possibly...it can be fresh or dry. They will also nibble at rosemary, rose branches (take the thorns off), brambles..they dont seem to mind the thorns but I worry watching them.:?

Im keen to try birch & hawthorne in the summer months...

Archie is not interested in apple branches...not sure baout willow yet - but tends to chew a corner of my shed instead:roll: I think he will learn that apples nice when he see's my girls eating it!

Im not sure if most buns get dental issues at one stage in their lives...but like you Im paranoid and so make sure the girls always have something to chew on.

I also have those wooden tunnel things & ive seen pics on RU where they are very well chewed..again mine dont seem to bother but its an option for you to try maybe...;)

Hawthorne is as much devoured as is Apple branches...if not more! particularly when the leaves grow back! they get a small part of the branch every other day. :D I find the local park has quite a few hawthorne trees.

Oscar loves apple branches when I can get them, does anyone know if you can buy them somewhere online? I have bought willow toys from p@h, but he isn't interested... Not tried any others

Thank you :) I've had a look at the link, it all looks great, I might buy my rabbits some things from there before I get them. I have an apple tree in my garden, so I can take pieces off the branches there for them :)

Oscar loves apple branches when I can get them, does anyone know if you can buy them somewhere online? I have bought willow toys from p@h, but he isn't interested... Not tried any others

I know there was someone who was selling them on RU raising money for a rescue....Ive looked and cant find the link- hopefully someone will help and they have some left.....;)

Thank you :) I've had a look at the link, it all looks great, I might buy my rabbits some things from there before I get them. I have an apple tree in my garden, so I can take pieces off the branches there for them :)

Now I'm soooo jealous!!

I know there was someone who was selling them on RU raising money for a rescue....Ive looked and cant find the link- hopefully someone will help and they have some left.....;)

FLUFFERS ...sellss them I think

You can buy them too on ebay...try typing in Apple sticks, I think apple branches are just available right now but as the seasons change there is usally, apple/birch/willow/raspberry and another one can't think...oh and the willow I've bought off ebay (before I discovered foraging) is fresh, not like the pre packed stuff you buy in a shop. :D

It was from here I bought them before, but I can't find the link now... will look on ebay to see what I can find!

Back