• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Heelp! Rasisin Is Not Eating Or Drinking!

The vet gave us some antibiotics and some pain killers. She liquid fed raisin this morning and she said she may not make it to sunday. If she does though she thinks she will be ok! This website says blended carrot is best for them please help she is dying!

She will need more pain killers tomorow, did she get anything like metacloprimide or zantac? If not I would take her back for these :wave:

The vet gave us some antibiotics and some pain killers. She liquid fed raisin this morning and she said she may not make it to sunday. If she does though she thinks she will be ok! This website says blended carrot is best for them please help she is dying!

Okay, right, it sounds like your bunny could be in GI Stasis. This is when the gut slows down / stops working.

Your bunny needs the following;

Pain Killer (metacam)
Gut Stimulant
Fluids (sometimes, depending on hydration levels i think)

Tempt her with everything and anything.

Herbs are a good idea, as they are very strong smelling and tempting. Basil, Parsleys, Coriander, Mint are best known.

I don't think blended carrot would be much good however, but i dont know.

There is also a possibility that this Stasis is actually secondary to another problem. Did the vet check her teeth? She could be in pain from her teeth, causing her inability to eat.

I think you need to get her to a more rabbit savvy vet ASAP. It sounds like she may have stasis or bloat and the meds your vet prescribed are not enough.
What area are you in? Are there any bunny vets you know of in your area?

In the meantime keep her very warm and quiet, give her a warm water bottle if possible. Syringe her cooled boiled water every hour to keep her hydrated xxx

Did she not give you any gut stimulant??? When Hermy, our rescue refused to eat, she was give 2 gut stimulant injections and then some for us to bring home and syringe feed. Then we were also given metacam and critical care food. I'd suggest you get the recovery food asap as that has always did the trick for my buns who weren't eating.
The vet should have suggested that after possibly 2 days of not eating that Raisin should be taken in and popped on a drip (as this is what my vet would do and has suggested in the past)... Not just that she won't make it :S

ps. Where are you situated? Someone on here may be able to give you advice on a good rabbit vet to go to...

When my bunny had GI stasis he had all the things Graham mentioned, and I was also given recovery food to syringe feed. If you can get this but can't manage the syringe feeding (I was rubbbish at it), try putting some on a plate and encourage your bunny to lick it. Can you feel your bunny's tummy - if it is hard or any lumps you should definitely take her back to the vet? Sending recovery vibes for your bunny.

Well yesterday raisin went in to be spayed however we found out she was aboy so we got here neutuered instead we got him home and the stitches had come undone his bowl was hangigng out we rushed him down to the vets and you could completely see his insides! The vet let him stay overnight to stitch him back up but said because his bowl has been out he may get an infection.She is on metacam pain killers and is on baytril antibiotics.

ahh I see :shock: what a norty bun!

I would still call back and insist on some gut stimulants. Is your vet very savy with rabbits? You can post on this forum stating your area and people will recomend you a vet :wave:

Like everyone has said, it may be stasis.
Have you felt her stomach? Does it feel firm?
If you feed her nuggets you could crush them, mix them with a bit of water, and syringe feed her.
Hope your bunny gets better

It sounds like you definitely need a more rabbit savvy vet. Did you get more pain relief home with him, and instructions on when to use it?

Well yesterday raisin went in to be spayed however we found out she was aboy so we got here neutuered instead we got him home and the stitches had come undone his bowl was hangigng out we rushed him down to the vets and you could completely see his insides! The vet let him stay overnight to stitch him back up but said because his bowl has been out he may get an infection.She is on metacam pain killers and is on baytril antibiotics.

Doesn't sound right to me this, I think they should have kept 'him' in the surgery under observations, I can't imagine my vets sending an animal home in this set of circumstances, personally I'd be getting back on to them and/or getting a second opinion.

Thanks everyone for your support. Took him down to the vets they said because he wasnt eating or drinking he has got gas in his belly so they have kept him in overnight and she said she would try to get him to drink something and eat something! The vets are so nice they have done all this for free because they said it was there fault the stitches came undone because they didnt do enough! Best vets in the world go vets4pets:D

Its great that they are so nice :D Aslong as they know alot about rabbits of course! Unfortunately alot of vets don't as they arent routinely taught specific rabbit medicine whilst studying. Hopefully your vets do though, just something to be aware of, especially with such a poorly bun :wave:
Loads of vibes for your Raisin :love:

i hope all is well for raisin soon....i have a bun in at the vets too for not eating or drinking on his own......its a very scary time.

im glad theyve done it for free...so they should tho..but at least they admitted their mistake...which is very very rare for a vet!!

vibes for raisin xx

Back